18. Freckles and Constellations

Dani's POV

Okay, today is this day. I'm going to do it. I'm going to ask Dipper out on our first official date. I mean, we hung out a lot together but they were never dates. I want this to be special because well, Dipper is special... So, that's why this night needs to be perfect.

I was currently with the twins, sitting in the yellow chair with Dipper as Mabel sat on the floor in front of us. We were in the middle of watching a random cartoon that we found since we were too tired to go on many adventures. I was playing with Dipper's hair as his body was sprawled on my lap. I could see his eyes start to drift away from my delicate touches which made my heart melt. Every time I do this, he falls asleep within minutes. He's told me before that the soft strokes from my hands give him asmr. Thinking about that made me blush and I smiled softly, not realizing Mabel was talking to me. "You want anything?" I heard her ask and snapped back to reality.

I blinked a few times and focused my gaze on her. "What?" I questioned.

Mabel giggled. "I said, 'I was heading to the kitchen to get some milk, you want anything?'" she repeated.

I blushed harder in embarrassment, realizing I wasn't paying attention. "Oh! Uh, n—no, thank you, I'm good." She simply shrugged and walked towards her destination. Once I knew she was out of sight, I looked down at Dipper to see his eyes closed and his mouth slightly open. I giggled because I knew he wasn't sleeping. If he were asleep right now, he'd be snoring up a storm. I raised my hand towards his face and used my index finger to tickle his nose. He scrunched and moved and grumbled, turning to his side so he wasn't facing me. "Dipper~" I cooed but he just mumbled. "Dipper, come on, I know you're not sleeping."

He groaned and rolled back over so that he was lying on his back, but his head was facing me. "I know you know I'm not sleeping," he said. "I just don't wanna move from the comfiest spot in the world." His comment made me giggle. He managed to sit up from his spot and stretch, letting out a yawn. "Oh man, you playing with my hair does make me sleepy, haha." He then looked at his wristwatch. "Wow, it's already 5:30. Guess you should be heading home now, huh?"

I glanced away, nervous to tell him what was on my mind. "Yeah, but before I go, there's something I wanted to ask you," I said, my voice cracking.

Dipper chuckled and I assumed it was at my sudden voice change. "What is it, cutie-pie?" he asked. I bit my lip and I could feel myself starting to sweat. Dipper looked at my nervous expression and my face turned to concern. "Dani, you okay?"

I bit my lip harder and could no longer hold back my question. I managed to open my mouth and quickly blurt out, "Dipperwouldyouliketogoonafirstofficaldatewithmetomorrowevening?"

He looked at me, perplexed, and glanced away. "Uh, come again?" he asked.

I just looked at him, my face red and eyes wide. I looked over his face and took a deep breath to brace myself. "Dipper, would you like to go on a first official date with me tomorrow evening?" I asked him in a slower, more understanding voice.

Dipper's face slowly started to turn as red as mine, probably even redder. "...Yes, please," he cooed.

My heartbeat faster at his response and I smiled wide. "Really?!" I exclaimed but then cleared my throat and said in a quieter voice, "I mean, that's wonderful to hear. I—I'll come pick you up at 7. How does that sound?" Dipper was staring at me, his face still a deep crimson but he nodded in response. "Great! I'll see you tomorrow." And with that, I hopped off the chair and clumsily made my way out the door, slamming it behind me before sliding my back against it. I placed a hand on my forehead and the other on my chest. "My goodness, why was that so hard to do?" I asked myself. "I must've sounded like a fool." I put my head down in dismay but soon lifted it back up when I came to a realization. "Oh, what is wrong with me?!"