Chapter 3 - Work of art

Hope's Peak Stadium - morning

Kyoko corrected Makoto's bow tie. "Good luck Mr. Headmaster." She smirked.

"Thanks, it's a pity really, not my first speech." Naegi smiled back. "Alright so, here I go.."

He entered the stage and looked around at all the taken seats from the medium school's stadium.

"Whoa, now that I see them all gathered, it's a lot of people..." Ultimate Hope thought and moved the microphone over to his mouth.

"Thanks for coming everyone! Dear teachers, students, school staff.. When I look at you like this all gathered together, I see a community but most importantly I see a new generation. A generation better than mine and the previous ones which couldn't stop the madness that took over the world. A generation of people that will refuse to give up on protecting their ideals, their moral values, their loved ones, and their homeland. A generation which I truly believe will eradicate every bit of egoism in their hearts and connect, because I learned on the verge of deadly peril that working together is far superior to loneliness, doubt, and distrust ." Makoto gesticulated with his finger tapping on the rostrum.

Meanwhile, Kirigiri got back in her seat next to her sport-loving friend. "I hope that they'll take his words seriously."

"His speeches are always so beautiful. I'm sure that at least some of them will get inspired." Aoi responded.

"Don't think that I forgot about what you did yesterday." She interjected.

"It's all good girl, you'll thank me later." Asahina giggled after Kyoko sighed and put her hand on her forehead.

In the interval, Naegi was getting close to ending his performance.

"With a heavy heart, I and your deputy headmaster will have to leave you and our school duties for an indefinite period of time due to our extremely important mission related to Future Foundation and project Phoenix that you might've heard of. I can't share further details with you for the sake of our safety and confidentiality clause... Even though, with all my heart I have confidence in you and your exemplary behavior during the time of my and Mrs. Kirigiri's absence. Thank you for listening." Makoto left the platform as the entire stadium got filled with sounds of talks and gossip.

"Let's get out of here before they swarm us with questions." Kirigiri stood up and joined Makoto to get their suitcases.

20 minutes later

"We'll be doing a huuuge party when you come back, I mean it! An enormously big one!"

Aoi cheered.

"There will be no party, we want zero parties when we'll be back, got it? Kyoko didn't agree on the way to their butler's car.

"You can't speak for Makoto am I right?" She wrapped her arm around his neck.

"Um, I guess that a small party won't hurt anyone." He chuckled unsurely.

"Fine guys, come here." Asahina embraced her colleagues in a tight hug. "Don't be silly, remember to avoid any danger!"

"We will be back in a flash I promise.. m-mm, y-you're hugging, a bit too, hard." He spoke out with difficulty trying to catch his breath.