Chapter 6 - To the new beginning

Makoto put the binoculars on the table and sat on the couch. "A terrorist organization with Junko as their god. Sounds terrifying but I won't hold back, I am doing this speech."

"We can't be sure if the city is safe and cleared, there might be some terrorists left hiding in the underground or the skyscrapers, literally anywhere." Kyoko stated.

"Wait but isn't it cruel to call them terrorists? I prefer brainwashed people." He suggested.

"It doesn't matter. What does is that you're their top one arch enemy, you made their deity commit suicide. Going out there is unwise, to say the least." Kirigiri pointed out.

"We do have the vests and the guns, right? Soldiers will escort us as well so I don't really see the problem as much as you do." Makoto spoke out.

"I get it you want to save everyone except for yourself as always. You have to be this stubborn don't you?" She asked a bit annoyed.

"The citizens and the soldiers need to have faith in the new better world! I will try my best to make them feel prowess and will to fight." Naegi decided. "Fear is not stopping me."

"Fear is our instinct and often a lifesav-"

"Kiri thanks for caring about me but you won't prove your point. I am going on the stage and I'm doing my job, period." He interrupted.

"Be careful." Kyoko put his vest to his chest and glanced into his eyes to highlight her seriousness.

"For certain." He wore it.

After the plane landed the two Ultimates got into an armored truck to be escorted to the rostrum. A few other military vehicles were with them forming a convoy.

"It looks like a tsunami of blood went through this city..." Makoto noticed after looking through the machine's small ballistic window.

He saw almost half of all windows in the town broken, bloodstains lying around like puddles after heavy rain. "At least they already took all the bodies away. May they rest in peace..."

Kyoko didn't say a word.

"How are you not touched by this? You were shocked when you saw some other city from the plane." He said a bit indignantly after seeing no reaction from his friend.

"It wasn't a ruined city, it was a mass grave forming a smiling Junko's face. Except for there were no tombs but naked people tied to a barbed wire lying in the open like they were some food for animals." Kirigiri confessed.

Naegi's face turned pale as he brought his hand up to his mouth and leaned away from his former classmate like he was about to puke.

"I'm used to dead bodies so I forgot that other people can react like this. I apologize." She regretted.

"It's f-fine, if I want to give them a moving speech I need to know what's going on." Makoto slowly straightened, barely keeping himself from vomiting. "I thought that our killing game was cruel but, that's just-"

"Just try not to think about it." Kyoko didn't let him finish his sentence.

"O-okay... But, I gotta say that it's still insane to me that someone can get used to investigating bodies like they were just objects. Not only that but you were solving murder mysteries so early as just a teen. Don't get me wrong I- I admire you for your skills but-"

"You don't have to explain yourself I get it. I guess that I'm just good at being emotionless." She interrupted coldly looking at her gloves.

"You are great at it when the situation requires you to. But besides that, I actually find you a very nice and comforting person." Naegi assured with a smile after he noticed her looking down and because of that, he felt guilty for making her feel worse.