Chapter 9 - Coincidence

They happily waved at the soldiers and other citizens and entered their plane.

"Ryo! Direction: Africa!" Makoto cheered.

"Roger that sir! Taking off." He went to the cockpit.

Both Ultimates took off their vests and sat down on the couch.

"How is your hand?" Kyoko asked.

"The painkillers are doing their job." Naegi smiled.

"Glad to hear that... We didn't eat for quite a while." She stood up and went over to the small kitchen corner. "I'll cook us some instant noodles."

"Sounds good!.. By the way, I was wondering, if you didn't have holidays before high school then what did you do during the summers if you weren't on vacation?" Makoto questioned.

"I was learning how to be a good detective with my grandfather." Kirigiri answered.

"Well but you're not good, you're the best one." Naegi assured.

"That's because he was desperate for me to be. I was his little obsession." She told.

"That sounds like he was forcing you to learn didn't he? What did the lessons look like?" Makoto asked.

"They were divided into two parts, theoretical and practical. The first one looked like you would expect it to: listening to his passionate lectures, studying from books, and doing tests. Afterward, I had to use that knowledge in action. Grandpa was setting up cases and I had to solve them. Sometimes he was even killing animals for the sake of my training." Kyoko confessed.

"Huh? T-that's insane! How could he do that?! How could he force a child to investigate dead creatures?!" He shouted.

"It was the price of becoming the best, he said that it was necessary and I agree. It did teach me many things. I didn't resist learning because I love him and couldn't let him down. He was strict but he took great care of me, besides I was into it back then. But after I was called an Ultimate I lost the passion, I became a tool for hire." Kirigiri explained.

"So you were working before you even first entered Hope's Peak?" Naegi questioned in surprise.

"Yes, I was given many commissions from rich people, most of them were murder cases but once they even ordered me to investigate a potential betrayal." Kyoko told.

"Y-you had to watch cheating couples?!" He asked even more startled.

"I didn't need to, there was plenty of evidence." Kirigiri denied.

"Damn.. so whoever your future partner will be he certainly won't be able to cheat on you." Makoto chuckled when she smirked. "But is it even legal to hire a minor for cases like this?"

"Probably not. But in the world of aristocrats law doesn't mean that much. They needed to know the truth, and I provided it to them." She stated.

"Still that doesn't seem right for your mental health.. Wait so, if you were successful with them then you probably had tons of money right?" Makoto questioned.

"I gathered some fortune but didn't spend anything, I was focused on work most of the time. Anyway, the bank that I kept it in collapsed during the most tragic- you know how she calls it.." Kyoko said.