Chapter 7 - Holidays

The bullet kept on flying until it hit its target-...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

The detonator. It shattered into pieces, but it didn't stop the bullet which penetrated Makoto's left hand right in the middle and continued its journey with a small splash of blood following it to the wall of the stage where it flattened.

Naegi fell down from the impact when all the glass pieces were already lying around him on the floor.

After a few moments, a lot of soldiers started to run on the stage with shields to take The Ultimate Hope back. They stopped Kyoko from getting on the stage.

The crowd started to panic and disperse.

An ambulance was already waiting behind the stage in case something like this would happen so Makoto got quickly put in there already lying on a stretcher.

"I'm going with him." Kirigiri entered the vehicle even though no one agreed for her to join him and the two medics.

"Disinfectant." One of the doctors requested and sprayed the liquid all over his wound.

"aaAAH- FUCK!" Their patient clenched his other hand into a fist. "It burns like HELL!" He yelled.

The other paramedic injected a syringe below Naegi's wounded hand. "It'll start taking effect in a few minutes, then the pain should go away." He said while bandaging the victim's lesion.

"Hey at least I'm alive and none of the glass hit me, that's surely a miracle." He tried to smile at her despite his suffering.

"They didn't kill you on purpose, they have just declared a war against you." She sat next to him.

"If they had just shot me down back there t-they would have already won, it makes no sense." Makoto stammered in pain.

"If that's the case then there must be outcomes better than your death for them." The Ultimate Detective noticed.

"Maybe we can talk it over later?" He suggested.

"Either way, this was the last time I agreed for you to do something so dangerous." She stated.

"Okay uh, fine mom?" Naegi joked.

"Don't try to be all cool and chill in a situation like this, my heart skipped a beat when I heard that shot." Kyoko complained with her voice more serious than usual.

"..Yeah okay sorry." He apologized.

After they reached the hospital a surgeon immediately performed an operation on Makoto's wound.

"Sorry for keeping you waiting." He walked out of the operating theater smiling with his left hand hidden under many layers of bandages.

Kirigiri instantly stood up when she saw her friend. "What did they tell you?"

"It turns out that I'm still a lucky student because the bullet missed most of my finger nerves. It'll be fine but I'll have to wear this dressing for a few weeks." He informed.

"Was it really worth it? Recklessly risking your life?" Kirigiri asked a rhetorical question.

"You can't even imagine this feeling when you cheer a million people up, I'll never forget it." Naegi assured.