Part 7: Loki the saviour

I woke up in a bed, a bed which felt like a cloud under me, it was a four poster with green drapes attached to each post. My vision was still a little blurry so I fluttered my eyes a little, as my vision focused I could see the figure above me. He was talking to someone, his hands were waving around in front of him, I could faintly hear his voice, so he must have been shouting.

With some haste the second figure left leaving only the dark figure who had ran toward me before I blacked out. When my vision eventually focused I was almost shocked to see my saviour standing before me. Loki. He wasn't in his usual armour and leather, instead he was in loose trousers and a baggy, long sleeved, black shirt. He was ready for bed.

I began to feel nervous and it wasn't long before he noticed I had awoken, he wasn't smiling, he seemed somewhat stressed "what... Where..." Everything came flooding back "Colby! He... I..." My voice was like gravel and my volume was low. A warrior who is hit in battle should just walk it off and get on with it, but Colby was supposed to be a... 'Teammate' I was supposed to be able to trust him, so naturally this experience had shaken me.

"He's being dealt with" he spoke plainly, his expression stern.

I nodded and swallowed, I looked to Loki who's fists were clenched shut and jaw was tensed "thank you" I whispered. His expression softened slightly and his hands began to relax "for what you did... Saving me"

"It's not something I wanted to watch" it's funny really, I had thought Loki to be a man who revelled in the pain of other people, someone who enjoyed watching others' pain. Perhaps leadership has changed him.

I smiled softly "Can I ask you something?" I said in a small voice with my eyes glued to the floor. Now probably wasn't the best time to ask questions but since we were on calm ground, I decided to take advantage of the situation.

"Aren't you going to anyway?" I laughed a little and looked at him.

My smile dropped "what's so special about this book?" I reached into a deep pocket on the inside of my cloak, taking out the small red book. His smile dropped then too, his eyes moved to the book and looked over it "I understand if you can't tell me, I mean why should you? It's not like I'm your fr..."

"My mother used to read it to me" I was slightly taken aback by his response, he should have been professional and shut me down, but he didn't "it was my favourite"

I looked down at it as well "so that's why it's so valuable to you" I know he never said anything about it being valuable but after he'd said that, it was pretty obvious.

He laughed a little to himself, like what I had said was stupid "that book in your hand, is worth more than all the gold in this palace" and let's face it, there was a lot of it. I looked around at the colossal amount of gold around me, then down to the book.

"To most people... This pales in comparison to this place... But not to you" I remember Frigga's funeral, it was the saddest day, though her funeral was beautiful, Loki never saw it. That was his fault really, they couldn't trust him enough to let him out for that day, but I felt for him still.

"She was a remarkable woman"

"With a great taste in books" I said as I flicked through the pages.

He looked up to me with a smile "you liked it then?"

"Yes, I used to love a good story, especially the Mi..."

He had this strange and annoying habit of interrupting me "the Midgard ones"

I looked up at him with a wide smile "exactly" he smiled too and then it went silent, we sat awkwardly, keeping from looking at each other.

If there's one thing I hate other than silence, it's awkwardness "anyway, here" I lifted the book out to him, which ached my shoulder where Colby had held me so roughly, but he just stared at it.

He stepped forward slowly, his hand lifted to the book and held it, but didn't take it from me. Instead he pushed the book back to me "keep it"

"No, I can't, it means too much to you"

He released the book and looked me dead in the face "one day I must let go"

I stared at the book again, this was most definitely improper "I can't" I tried to give it back but he wouldn't even go to take it.

"Then you must keep it safe for me" I was puzzled as to why he would trust me with such a thing, I was of no significant importance to him. So that was the expression I gave him, puzzled "you should get some rest" he said softly, his eyes darting away from mine.

"Yes. I should" I smiled and turned on my side with my back to him. I heard him walking about and then he came around to the other side of the bed which I was facing and took a pillow "what are you doing?" I spoke quietly. His eyes shot behind me and then back to me, I furrowed my brows and then twisted my head to look behind me, where I saw a small sofa with sheets on it "you don't have to do that"

I knew everything he knew, that certain things are improper but I think we were past that bridge "yes I do Eerika" he said making his way down the bed.

"You saved my life I'm not going to banish you to the sofa" I laughed slightly, my throat still aching. He smiled awkwardly and then came back to put the pillow back in its place, slowly climbing onto the bed, only he didn't get under the covers which was a true gentlemanly act.

I smiled and then to save any more awkwardness I turned the other way so my back was to him and closed my eyes.

( A/N I hope you don't mind this chapter is a little shorter than the rest, thought you might like a break from long chapters :P )