Part 23: I dreamed a dream

When we returned from earth, we returned to our ordinary lives, Ake was avoiding me, surprise surprise, Sif was avoiding Loki, don't be too shocked, and I was kind of avoiding Loki. The only time I really spoke to him was during training, we had swapped to a new method of training, Loki would get me angry somehow and I would have to control my powers, if I failed then he would let me think I had actually killed him, and even though you know it's not real, it's horrible to think I could actually do that, so to avoid that feeling I had to have control.

Evidently I saw Loki dead quite a few times, head decapitated and that other gruesome stuff, but it was all an illusion. When we weren't training I avoided him every way possible, but Loki wasn't stupid, he knew when something was up, I suspected he knew that I was attempting to avoid him the moment I started, but he let me do my own thing for a while, but days turned to weeks and he began to get overly suspicious.

I suppose he knew I might not open up to him so he asked Sif to talk to me, surprisingly she didn't reject him. I was just walking one day when she practically jumped me and took me to her chambers where we could talk privately "what's going on with you?"

"Me? Nothing I'm fine"

"You've been avoiding Loki for weeks now, he's worried about you, tell me what's wrong" she studied my face and sighed "is this because Loki told you he killed Odin?"

I shook my head "how did you know he told me that?"

"Loki gave me reasons why you might be avoiding him, if it's not that then what?"

"It's the nightmare I had in Paris"

"The nightmare? Loki said it probably wouldn't be that, he told you Odin..."

"It wasn't about Odin, okay? I lied, it was about..." I sighed "It was about him" I watched her expression change, begging for me to elaborate "he had just finished my painting, and I asked him if we could go to New York before we left..." Her expression changed again "I said I wanted to go because I had heard Asgardians talking about it, then he explained why they talked..." I explained the rest of the dream to her and the whole time she never moved, she stayed silent while I was talking, never interrupting me "he killed me Sif, he stabbed me right in the heart"

There was a glint of satisfaction in her eyes, I never should have told her "it could have been a premonition"

"I don't get those..."

"But you do, you're half Vanir, they have the ability to see into the future using a special plant, perhaps because you're half Asgardian too, you don't need the plant"

"I still don't understand what you mean"

"Perhaps it was a metaphor, that Loki will go back to his old ways..." I began to reject what she was saying, but she just talked over me "... And then he will either kill you or break your heart" I was still and silent then, perhaps she was right "your dream was telling you to leave Loki, before he self destructs and takes you out with him"

"No!" I shoved her and stormed out of her chambers, she was trying to provoke me to marry Ake, but although her intentions might have been for the wrong reasons, perhaps what she was saying had some truth in it, maybe he was going to hurt me one way or another.

Sif must have gone to Loki and hinted at what was wrong, not telling him the full story, he was the one who came looking for me next, the same happened as it had the first time, he provoked the truth out of me, then reacted the same way as Sif when I told him about the dream, he just stayed silent and still "there's more though isn't there? I can see it on your face, you must tell me Eerika"

"Sif told me it might have been a premonition, that my dream was predicting our future, my, future. That you'll self destruct one day and take me with you, or you'll break my heart when you turn back to your old ways. But, I know it can't be true! You've changed, she doesn't know you like I do! She hasn't seen the side of you I saw on Midgard, you aren't that man anymore!" I pleaded with him to see my side of things, I was close to tears but I wouldn't let myself cry, I was sick of crying "say something, please! I can't bare this silence"

"What if she was right?"

"What?" I said shocked.

His eyes were saddened "what if there is truth in what she says, I have done terrible things, I've always known that one day it will all catch up with me, if you're there when that happens then you'll be sucked up into all the madness and Eerika" he took hold of my shoulders and looked deep into my eyes "believe me, it will consume you"

"I don't care, we've been through too much I won't let some stupid dream that means nothing, tear us apart, I won't!"

"Eerika please, listen to reason"

"No! You are not throwing us away again, I won't let you do it!"

"Listen to me!" He shouted, so loudly it echoed off of the walls, I was stunned silent "I'm not throwing anything away, that should be your choice, but I will fight for us and I will fight to protect you, one day my demons will come for me and I will do whatever is necessary to stop you from interfering and getting yourself heartbroken or worse, but until then, whatever happens between now and then is up to you and only you. I made the mistake of letting you go once, I won't do it again"

I wrapped my arms around him and sobbed "promise?"

"I promise" I tightened my grip around him and he tightened his, I was never going to let him go.

"When we are married, your demons become our demons, no matter what you say" I cupped his face "I will fight beside you, and if it comes to it then I will die beside you"

"I don't want that fate for you"

"Tough" I smiled and kissed him, things were going to change, but I could handle that.

(A/N This chapter is a little shorter than the others because the previous two have been longer, but Eerika is right, things will change in the next couple of chapters, are you ready? - LMOM)