Part 18: Confessions of an advisor

Ake avoided me like I had a disease, to him I suppose I did, the Loki disease, symptoms include and are not limited to: Weak knees and lust. Uncontrollable lust. We could be sitting eating dinner and in one glance I would have a sudden headache, and Loki would have urgent matters to attend to, well in a way our lust was urgent. That seemed to be all we did, that and training.

Sif still disapproved about my training, but not as much as before, I realised she was mostly longing to join in, so I went on a mission to find Fandral, who was buried in Asgardian documents of each and every citizen "might I have words?"

"Uh..." He looked at the papers in his hand and I realised he was busy, but he put them down and turned his attention to me. Although it is sexist, the husband is the dominant partner in the relationship in these kind of marriages, so I needed permission from him to see if Sif could help in training me, although she didn't know any magic "yes of course"

"I would ask that you consider allowing lady Sif to participate in my training..."

"I know what this is about, I too miss the swing of my sword and the agility in my step" he began to reminisce on the good old days, so before he fell too far deap into his memories, he shook his head to shake the thoughts away "but I cannot succumb to the appeal every time I see a sword or take a step"

"But..."

"No buts princess, anyway why would you need Sif for training, she possesses no magical capabilities, and you already know how to fight being a past warrior"

"If I'm honest I just needed an excuse to get her in on the action" I felt stupid now, I knew what his answer was going to be before I even thought about asking him.

"Did she put you up to this?"

"No this was all my idiotic idea, she doesn't even know I'm here..." I had noticed his eyes drifting over to the papers and decided to relive him of the desperate feeling he looked to be experiencing "... So, have you found the lost prince yet amongst all of.. This?" I hoped he would say no, I didn't want anyone getting in the way of Loki and I.

He sighed and picked up the papers, staring at them longingly "unfortunately not, there are too many files to go through, even with Volstagg and Hogan by my side, I am no closer than I was yesterday" he sighed again.

Was he edging for me to offer my assistance? Or was he just being slightly pathetic? "Would you like me to help?"

"Don't you have lessons with... Loki?" Why was saying his name so hard?

I shook my head and he shrugged then handed me a stack of papers, I didn't even realise that Asgard had a filing system, it was mostly criminals and immigrants from other realms who were given Asgardian citizenship. We were sat there for hours sifting through all the papers, then Ake popped his head through the door and asked for me, which was a massive surprise I have to say "I just wanted to say... I'm sorry Eerika, I might possibly have overreacted" I smiled warmly and pulled him in for a hug "so does this mean I'm forgiven?"

"Of course, I'm sorry for hitting you" I said as we pulled away.

"I forgive you" He smiled warmly and then things just became a little awkward "so erm... What are you doing in there? You looked to be in pretty intense concentration"

"Oh we're just going through records, trying to find the missing prince"

"Really?"

Suddenly he became all nervous on me "are you... Are you okay?"

He seemed pretty out of it, I touched his arm to bring him back down to Asgard "sorry?"

"Are you okay?"

"Me? Oh yeah, yeah... Er hey I'm just going to check on something"

Ake turned to leave but I called him back "Ake are you sure you're okay?"

He smiled weakly "yeah, I'm as right as rain" I smiled too, but I was unconvinced, so in the spur of the moment I convinced myself that I should follow him, then I could maybe find out what was wrong, and if need be, help him through it. I followed him into the throne room, Loki had gone there to set preparations for a ball in the honour of his guests, he was talking with guards and servants when Ake requested they talk alone, Loki seemed weary but dismissed his company anyway "what is it advisor?"

"I have to ask for some advice, hypothetically of course"

"Of course" Loki mocked, I could tell by his tone, but I don't think Ake picked up on it.

"If I were keeping a secret, for only selfish purposes, that if revealed could potentially help another person... Should I reveal the secret?" I had never seen Ake so worked up before, he was so on edge and upset.

"You're asking the god of mischief and lies about revealing secrets?"

"Please sir, I ask you as a king"

Loki considered the question for a while and then came to his conclusion "as a king I would say, if it could help someone else then you should reveal this secret, however as a liar by trade I would say, if it could help someone else then you should keep the secret and watch them suffer" this side of him was a bit of a turn on... His masculine tone and... Getting off track now "choose wisely" the options he had given Ake were going to be possibly life changing to whoever the second party was.

Ake nodded and took in a deep breath "very well. I am the lost prince of Vanaheim"

My body stiffened as a wave of shock ran over me, Loki was silent as he had met his rival, my second choice for a husband. The ball he was planning was long forgotten. I couldn't believe it, Ake was the man who could take me away from Loki, then I realised that was probably why he revealed his true identity, he now seemed to loathe Loki and wanted me to stay away from him. In his eyes, this would be a way of protecting me.

I stepped out from behind the door, a tear slipping down my cheek "what?"

Ake's head snapped around to look at me and Loki closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose, he probably hoped that he could cast a spell on Ake to make him forget who he was, so that me and him could be together, but now he realised I heard the confession and his possible plans were ruined. Ake's eyes widened and became slightly saddened "Eerika?"