Part 9: Pleasantries and formalities

Over the next couple of days Colby hadn't been seen much, he had stashed himself away in his chambers, he came out on the odd occasion but I was never around when he did. Ake had begun to stay close, like I needed protection or something "I don't need protecting Ake" I stood stubbornly with my arms crossed.

"Well you won't know that until something happens to you, then you'll wish you had someone to back you up"

I rolled my eyes "if you keep following me you're the one who's going to need protection!" That conversation... Ok that argument, carried on for a while until he gave up and laid off me.

Some joy came out of my ordeal, it gave the women in the washrooms something to gossip about besides their bunions. Then again that could be a bad thing, I have mentioned before that the women in the washrooms like to make up rumours just to entertain themselves, but the rumours go on like a chain reaction until there's no one else to tell.

Apparently Colby and I had been sharing a moment of passion in the gardens when I told him I wanted to be with Ake, so he tried to kill me. Yeah, that's definitely what happened, but the point is they're making out like I brought it upon myself, but it was Colby, he provoked me and my stupidity allowed me to rise to it. Hey, maybe it was my fault according to everyone else, I knew what was right.

Every time I walked down the corridors, there would be a small group of people whispering as they eyed me up and down, Ake had glared at them a couple of times which didn't much help the rumours. There were other rumours too according to Ake, but I asked not to know, I didn't want to know, and that was that.

Loki seemed to be avoiding me, after all the rumours came out he confronted me and asked what had happened, he only saw the part where I was dying apparently, after that he hadn't talked to me or even looked at me, he'd be looking down with that stern and plain look on his face. Why was he so plain? So boring? Ake had a good laugh with him a couple of times but never with anyone else, perhaps he had always been that way, I wouldn't know though would I.

Eventually Colby had to stop hibernating and come out of his chambers, his face was battered and he was limping, had Loki done this to him? I think by the looks of Colby, Loki might have gone a little too far. We were all sat in the hall when Colby stood at the doorway, everyone went silent and began to whisper. His dead eyes set upon me and I felt myself shrink, then he just turned away and limped out of view.

I went to the gardens, I looked into the large fountain and then sat on the edge of it, with my head in my hands I began to cry. Loki passed me attempting to cut through the gardens, but he had no such luck as I looked up with puffy eyes to see who else was in the gardens "why did you save me?" The subject had baffled me, I saw what he did to Colby and that was rage, but what he did for me was kindness, two very different people.

He shifted on the spot and looked down on the floor "it was my duty as king" I know a lie when I hear one and I heard one.

I just hummed a response, not wanting to question him, he went to leave but I wasn't finished yet "did you do that to Colby?"

He turned quickly with an annoyed look about him "why do you want to know? Why must you know everything? It's infuriating"

"Why won't you tell me?!" I stood up quickly in front of him.

"I'm your king, you do as I say not the other way around!" He was right, oh boy was he right, I almost always forgot his title when I spoke to him "what do you expect me to do? Tell you about my terrible childhood just because you asked? Or because you appear as a friend?"

"I don't know"

"Exactly, I won't tell you again to keep out of my business!" He hissed.

"Very well... My king" his face screwed up like he had eaten something sour. Loki seemed unhappy with me using pleasantries and being so formal "something wrong my king?"

"Well that lasted all of two seconds" it's like word vomit, it just comes out I suppose, I noticed he was distancing though.

"I apologise my king, it won't happen again" I bowed my head and smirked a little at his annoyed reaction, he wanted to be treated like a king, then that's what he was going to get. He went to say something but instead went to leave, as he did so I crossed my right arm along my chest which was a sign of respect to the king, he was agitated again but just turned and left. As he left I rolled my eyes and laughed to myself, a king who doesn't know what he wants, you don't see that everyday.

(A/N I know it's another short chapter but it's kind of a filler if you know what I mean)