The final chapter: The family hour

We were in the hall eating when it started, Loki and Ake helped me down to the healers and they took care of me, Loki stood by my side the whole time, I gripped onto his hand, squeezing it with every push. Loki tells me my screams were deafening, I wouldn't know I was concentrating on the small things I had to push out of me. He wiped the sweat from my brow and when it was over I held my children, my little girl and my little boy.

They were so perfect, so fragile, I was almost afraid to hold them, looking at them it was like they were made of the finest porcelain, it was so nice to finally meet the little so and so's who had been kicking me for the last couple of months. Loki and I had already decided on names, our little girl was Freja, and our little boy was Eirik.

(A/N Freja means 'like a lady' and Eirik means 'King forever' it might be easier if you think of Eirik as Eric - LMOM)

Loki stared at his children, not quite sure what he should do at first, Freja had one of her hands up, Loki took her small hand and stroked her tiny fingers with his thumb "she's so small" he choked out, a happy tear running down his cheek, he put his palm out and laid her hand on it, the size difference between them was humorous and yet I was in awe "so small..." He whispered "she's perfect" his eyes turned to Eirik "him too" he took his hand and shook it a little, Eirik gripped onto one of his fingers "he's going to be strong"

"Would you like to hold them?" His tear filled eyes looked up at me, frightened, he gulped and I realised for the first time Loki had no idea what he was supposed to do, he had never seen two things so small and delicate, the most precious little things in the world "it's okay, you won't break them, how about one at a time?"

Loki nodded and took Freja, the healer showed him how to hold her and there was a look in his eye of complete devotion to our little girl, he smiled wider than ever and let out a breath, his eyes welled up again as he rocked her gently "she's so beautiful..."

"Yes she is" I watched them closely, this tall man who was so strong willed, made helpless at the sight of his tiny child, I never imagined in all my years that I'd have children, and now that I watched my husband holding one of them I couldn't imagine life any other way, to do so would break my heart and I would die.

He put Freja back in my arms and took Eirik, he looked so proud "I couldn't ask for more, he's more than I ever imagined" in that time that he held the twins I saw every loving emotion flash on his face, but my heart melted when the protective look came. Carefully he placed Eirik back in my arms and knelt down beside me, he took both of their hands and whispered "I'll protect you with all of my soul, I'll never let anyone hurt you" he looked up at me and smiled and then looked back at the twins "and your mother and I will always love you, you'll never have to feel alone or different, because your mother and I are as weird as it gets" I laughed through the happy tears, he got up and leant down to kiss me on the forehead "thank you"

"For what?"

"For giving me a second chance in life" tears streamed down my cheeks and there was no stopping them, this was the happiest moment of my life. Loki put his forehead to mine and we cried together for a while.

The healer came over and gently spoke to us "perhaps we should give Eerika some rest, it's been a long day" she took the twins and placed them in cribs next to my bed.

Loki seemed almost glued to the spot "I want to stay, I'll be quiet I promise so you can get some rest" his eyes were wide and pleading, I couldn't say no, but although we were king and queen of Asgard the healer knew best.

"Can he?"

She sighed and smiled "as long as he's quiet"

Loki smiled and sat at my bedside, looking in the cribs at the babies "I'll be quite happy watching them sleep" I smiled and began to drift off, I was so exhausted it was unreal.