001 : Car Rides and Coffee

~x~

~x~

    Liza Henderson had seen her fair share of crazy and she was only seventeen. At first it was her younger brother - Dustin - running around making strange purring noises while chasing their cat Mews. Which in the grand scheme of things, wasn't even that crazy, just odd. Then it was in middle school when someone showed her the headlines of some serial killer named Ted Bundy, a terrifying thing to read when you are just a child. 

   Nothing could top the past year though, in the span of a month Liza had been introduced to horrors that made her question every single thing in her life. Will Byers had disappeared, gone in the blink of an eye trying to get home from Dungeons and Dragons night at the Wheeler's. Then a strange girl with buzzed hair and superpowers came into her life, she could barely talk and had a fascination with Eggo waffles. Then came along the Demogorgons, creatures that had no face and a thirst for blood that never seemed to go away. 

  When Will had been found, he was in a place called the Upside Down. Barely alive and traumatised in a way that no child should be, but he was alive and it seemed like that was all that mattered in the moment when he woke up. The girl named Eleven had died in order to save the small town of Hawkins, Indiana. She had gone up against the Demogorgon to save her friends, using her powers to seemingly open up a portal that took both the creature and girl. 

   Liza had become officially part of a little group called The Party. In it was her brother Dustin Henderson, Mike Wheeler, Will Byers and Lucas Sinclair; the founding members. It now also included herself, Nancy Wheeler, Johnathan Byers and - much to the dismay of the children - Steve Harrington. All of the teens were brought in due to the fact they helped bring Will back, sworn to secrecy and given the rules. 

The kids had called Liza their healer, they had given everyone roles even if they had no clue what they meant. When Liza had asked why she was given the role of healer, Dustin told her that it was because she was the only one with the knowledge of first aid and because she always seemed to have bandaids on her. Liza had scoffed, telling them that their reasoning was stupid shoving her hands into the back pockets of her ripped jeans. Inside she felt the paper wrappings of bandages and she closed her eyes with a heavy sigh. She flicked her brother in the head and grumbled that he wasn't completely wrong.

    Since the night of the Demogorgons' defeat, Liza had found herself growing fonder of the four boys. She had always seen them as some kind of friends, but the recent events had changed her view of them and she had grown fiercely protective of them and they had latched on to her. She was the one that they would ask to drive them to the arcade or movies on days where biking was impossible. Liza was the one who brought them pizza on nights they ran their campaign and she was the one who they went to when they needed to talk to someone. They had started to see her as a sister, a safe place and she saw them as brothers.

   Yes, Liza Henderson had seen her fair share of crazy but nothing would prepare her for what was to come. Nothing would prepare her for any of the things that life would throw at her.