060 : Graveyards and Drawings

~x~

~x~

  After Liza and Steve had gotten her cleaned up and headed back into the basement, he kept a close eye on her. He couldn't decide whether it was for the best that he didn't go with Nancy and Robin. On one hand it meant that he could help Liza, on the other it meant that he had to watch the woman he loved die.

  "I know you guys are staring at me." Max called out, making Dustin and Lucas look away.

  "I can feel you staring too, Steve." Liza chimed in, peering over the top of a DND manual.

  "Just hanging out." Steve hummed, not taking his eyes off the blonde.

  "How you think your eyes boring into the back of our heads is going to save us from Vecna, I don't know." Max chuckled, standing from her seat with envelopes in her hands. "You can look at me now." The ginger rolled her eyes.

  When the two boys looked back at her, Max handed each of them an envelope. She hesitated before giving Liza hers, their eyes locking as Liza gave her an encouraging nod. Liza took the envelope gingerly, whatever it was, it seemed important to Max and she didn't want to rip it. The boys however instantly started to open theirs.

  "Hey! What're you doing?" Max asked quickly. "Don't! That's not for now! Don't open it now!" They all closed their envelopes as Dustin held his up.

  "I'm sorry, what is this?" 

  "It's, um. . . a fail safe." Max looked down at her shoes. "For after. If things don't work out."

  "Wait, woah, Max. Things are gonna work out." Lucas tried to reassure the girl.

  "No!" Max shook her head. "No, I don't need you to reassure me right now or tell me it's going to be okay. Because people have been telling me that my entire life and it's almost never true. It's never true. I mean, of course this asshole curses me. Should have seen it coming." Max grabbed Dustin's walkie. "If we go to East Hawkins, will this thing still reach Pennhurst?"

  "Of course, yeah." Dustin nodded. Max looked at Liza, the question clear in her eyes. The blonde sighed but nodded, knowing this was something that Max needed to do.

  "Wait, why are we going to East Hawkins?" Steve asked, finally taking his eyes off Liza. When he saw the look in Max's eyes, it clicked. "No, no, no!" He exclaimed as the two girls got up and headed out of the basement. "Max! Max, seriously. I'm not joking, okay? I'm not driving you anywhere."

  "Steve, if you think I'm going to spend what is likely the last day of my life in the armpit that is Mike Wheeler's basement then you're out of your mind." Max had led them outside, heading towards Steve's car. "So either take me where I need to go or tie me down, which is technically kidnapping of a minor. And if I live to see another day, Steve I swear to god, I will prosecute." Max tugged on the door to find it locked. "Open the door."