009 : Junkyards and Madmax

~x~

~x~

When they reached the junkyard, any leftover meat was dumped into the middle of the yard. They stood off to the side and turned to look at one another. While they tried to figure out the next step of their plan Liza noticed two people approaching, people that she recognized. Lucas Sinclair and Max Mayfield.

"What are you doing here?" Liza exclaimed as she walked up to Max and pulled the ginger into a hug. Lucas continued on towards Dustin, escaping the hug he knew Liza would try to give him.

   This isn't where the young girl should be. Max should be at home or the arcade, enjoying her childhood untouched by the Upside Down. It was bad enough that her little brother and the rest of her friends were part of this, but Max wasn't part of this, she shouldn't be and if Billy found out she was sure he would lose his mind.

"I came here with Lucas." Max mumbled into Liza's shoulder before pulling away. "What are you doing here?" Liza glanced at her brother who was arguing with Lucas. Max followed the eye line and nodded, she had a feeling that Liza was the type of sister that would help her sibling if they were in danger or trouble.

"C'mon, we should probably help out." Liza slung an arm around the girl's shoulder. As long as Max was here, she was under her protection. "Show these boys how the girls do it." They went over to a pile of scrap metal and got to work amouring up an old school bus.

While the girls worked in tandem, they joked and made fun of the boys. Laughing when one of them overheard and made indignant noises and protests. Liza had to stop for a second and laugh when Steve had scared Dustin and Lucas when they had hid behind an old car. However the tone turned serious when Max turned to Liza.

"What happened between you and Billy?" Liza whipped her head around to stare at Max in shock. The ginger had a look of worry on her face. "If he hurt you or was a dick-"

"Woah, slow down girl." Liza chuckled as she put her hands on Max's shoulders. The girl took a deep breath. "Why do you think he did something to me?" 

In the time that she had hung out with Billy Hargrove, he never once said or did anything that would have hurt her. Sure he wasn't the nicest person to anyone and he always tried to get under Steve's skin but other than that he seemed fine. She wondered what Billy did when no one was around when that had the girl so nervous.

"Uhm, it's nothing really." Max shook her head, but the stare that Liza was giving her made her crumble. "He just isn't a good guy, so I thought he hurt you." Liza furrowed her brow and shook her head.

"No, we just realised we would be better off as friends. But I definitely want to know more, if you don't feel safe or ever want to just talk, my window is always open." Liza smiled softly at the girl.

"Your window?"

"Yeah, Liza has this thing about climbing through windows." Steve spoke as he came up beside the blonde. "Ever notice how she never uses a car door?" Liza bumped his hip with hers as she sent him a playful glare.