007 : Dart and Panic Attacks

~x~

~x~

It had been two days since the breakup and Liza hadn't seen much of Steve. Not that she had expected to, after all it was the weekend and he had probably decided to wallow a bit. She could only imagine how that must feel, being broken up with by the person you thought loved you must've felt like a slap to the face. 

  She also hadn't seen Mews in a while. The cat was always in her room, stretched out on her bed so he could bathe in the sunlight. It was odd that she hadn't seen him in at least twenty four hours, and she wondered where he could have gone. Deciding that she was going to figure out that mystery, she went into her brother's room.

   Banging on his door, she could hear him swearing and running around. It was taking him a suspicious amount of time to answer her, only adding to the mystery of the situation. When the door slid open, he stared up at her with wide eyes. 

  "Oh thank god!" Dustin grabbed his sister by the arm and dragged her into the room. It was torn apart and she could see that Yurtle's tank had been busted open. "I messed up and can't find Dart." Liza furrowed her brows, she wasn't sure who or what Dart was but the stress on her brother's face told her she wouldn't like the answer.

  "Okay, that's a problem because. . .?" Liza urged on. Dustin shifted his eyes around the room. "Is Dart a class pet or something?" She wasn't understanding the situation.

   "No, at first I thought he was a lizard or a pollywog, but then he was growing, and growing until I realised he was. . ." Dustin trailed off, eyeing his sister before biting the bullet. "Dart is a demodog. Like a demogorgon."

   Liza felt her heart sink, the room had started spinning and the chittering of the monsters was sounding in her ears. Liza stared wide eyed at her brother. He had brought one of those things under the same roof as her, she had slept while this thing was one moult away from coming after her. Trying to steady her breathing, Liza wrapped her arms around herself.

   "Does the Party know?" Liza choked out, watching as Dustin lifted up his walkie-talkie that the boys communicated through.

  "They aren't answering." Dustin huffed. "The dicks, but maybe we can go to Mike's and find them." Liza nodded, it was all she could answer with and then she grabbed his hand and dragged him out of the house. Mews was no longer on her mind.

~x~

    Liza was out of breath by the time they reached the Wheelers, she hated that they had ran instead of biked. There was no use going there though, Mike and Nancy weren't there. Dustin groaned as he went back to his sister who stood by the curb. 

    "Mr. Wheeler is as useless as a sack of shit." Dustin rolled his eyes, annoyed by the man and his distinct lack of empathy for how urgent their situation was. "Let's go try Will- Hey, is that Steve?"