049 : Sixteen Candles and Morning Coffee

~x~

~x~

  "Do my eyes deceive me or are you getting closer with Eddie Munson?" Robin asked Liza as they lay on the blonde's bed. Saturday nights had become Girls Night for them, replacing the Friday nights that once belonged to them and Steve.

  "Nope, your eyes are telling the truth." Liza chuckled, her smile getting wider at the mention of Eddie. "Ever since I was taken into the Hellfire group, him and I have kinda been hanging out a lot." Liza twirled a piece of Robin's hair around her fingers.

  She enjoyed going to Hellfire, the club was a lot of fun and she didn't expect to be so enthralled with their campaign. When it was just Will, Mike, Dustin and Lucas in the Wheeler basement, she would read until it was time to take them home, but with Hellfire she was voicing NPC's, cheering when they got hits in and clutching at Eddie when they would roll Nat Twenties.

  "So, is that like a thing now? You and Eddie?" Robin looked up at Liza from the girls lap. 

  She was hoping it was. Liza moving on meant Robin no longer had to feel guilty about hiding that Steve was flirting and going on dates with any female that would give him the time of day. It sucked being in between her two friends, she found herself having to really think before she spoke so she didn't tell Steve or Liza funny stories about the other. 

  "Uh, kind of? I mean, it's not anything official, we are just. . .seeing where it takes us." Liza shrugged. "He knows I'm still not fully okay from . . . Steve. So he is okay with us just going with the flow."

  "Well, I hope whatever this is makes you happy. You deserve it." Robin hummed.

  "What's the deal with you and your love life?" Liza poked at her friend's cheek. "I mean, you're over the Muppet now, so there's gotta be someone else right?"

  "Yeah, uh, there's this girl in band. She's totally amazing. Really pretty too. We stand next to each other and . . .god, Liz." Robin sighed, a blush creeping up her neck and cheeks. "She's like . . . A dream."

"Well, are you gonna tell me her name or are you just gonna continue to be vague about it?" Liza rolled her eyes. 

  "Her name is Vickie." Robin watched as Liza's brows knitted together as she thought. 

"Vickie. . . Oh! Ginger Vickie? The one who kinda looks like Molly Ringwald?" Liza cocked her head to the side. 

"Oh my god, she does!" Robin flipped on to her stomach to stare at her friend wide eyed. "But is she Pretty In Pink Molly or Sixteen Candles Molly?"

"Totally Sixteen Candles." Liza chuckled. "So what are you gonna do? Actually talk to her or pine from a distance?"

Robin gave her an 'are you serious look'. Liza knew it was a stupid question, this was not something that most of not anyone accepted and in the Midwestern state of Indiana, no one was cool with it. Liza hated it. Hated that her friend had to hide who she really was in order to live a semi normal life. If she could, she would change the world for Robin. 

  "Right. Pining from a distance it is."

~x~

  Monday rolled around and with it, Eddie Munson at Liza's front door. He guided her to his van, hand on the small of her back as he opened the door for Liza to climb in. Liza rolled her eyes at him as he helped her climb in. 

  "You're so short, it's adorable." Eddie grinned as he stood in the open door. Liza pouted at him. "Hey, no pouting. I came just early enough to go get your coffee, if you keep that up I'll just drive straight to school." Liza stopped her pouting, instead she just sat up straighter and put on a smile. 

  "C'mon Rockstar! We are wasting time with all your standing around!" Liza urged. Eddie laughed but nodded, going to the drivers side. He should have known that mentioning coffee would have the girl changing her attitude.

  Once they arrived at Gina's, Liza went to get out but Eddie placed a hand on her thigh. Her eyes zeroed in on it as it sent shock waves through her body. She had worn a pair of jeans that were practically ripped to shreds, so his hand landed on bare skin. Her eyes went up to stare at him, he had a smile as he stared back. "I'll go get it, you can pick some music."

  Liza nodded and let him go. Reaching for his box of tapes she started to look through, it had all her favourites from Metallica to AC/DC. She lifted up a cassette, it was the 'Back in Black' album and Liza felt her heart clench. The same tape she had left in Steve's car, that was still in Steve's car. Shaking her head she put the tape back down, grabbing something else and putting it in.

  When Eddie came out he could hear Black Sabbath's Children Of The Grave playing from his van. A smile spread on his lips as he got in and handed Liza her coffee. Watching her reaction as she took a sip, when she made no signs of it being wrong he nodded and started to drive away.

  "Good choice in music, Witch." Eddie grinned as she tapped along to the drums in the song. 

  "I figured you would approve." Liza hummed. "Children Of The Grave has become a new favourite of mine." Liza kicked her feet up on his dash.

  "I would hope so, you play it almost every chance you get." Eddie rolled his eyes.

  "Don't act like you don't love Ozzy." Liza scoffed. "You practically worship the man."

  "He bit a bat's head off on stage! I can only dream of being that metal." Eddie defended.

  Liza rolled her eyes as she drank her coffee. When they parked, Eddie ran to his locker after pressing a quick kiss to the girl's hair. His class was furthest in the building so he had less time to get there once the bell rang. Liza hung back, a cigarette perched on her lips as she watched the students mill about. 

  A maroon BMW caught her eye as it pulled into the parking lot. At first Liza thought her eyes were playing tricks on her, but then Robin climbed out and the blonde knew. Steve Harrington was right in front of her. 

  Throwing her cigarette to the ground, Liza rushed into the school. She did not want to see him and she hoped he hadn't seen her. She had done well in avoiding him so far and she liked to keep it that way. 

Edited : June 15th 2023