Comfort Character: A Jake Sim Oneshot

24th April, 11:00 AM

Beep. Beep.

The doctor sighed as he walked out of the room. Walking out through the door, he was instantly met by a concerned mother.

"Doctor. How is my daughter? Will she be fine? How long will it take for her to be normal again?"

The doctor hesitated. He didn't have the courage to break her heart. But he cannot hide the bitter truth from her either.

"I am sorry Mrs Y/L/N. I don't want to give you fake hopes by saying that your daughter is going to be fine. She has lost all hope in life. Her depression has made her condition worse. She's on the last stage of lung cancer... And she won't live for more than a month. I'm sorry. There's nothing we can do about it..."

Disheartened, she plopped back onto her seat as tears flowed down her eyes. It was difficult for her to accept the truth.

"There's no way for her to survive?"

"I'm afraid there isn't. But since her time is limited, please do try to give her a happy ending. And for that, you need to be happy first."

And saying that he left...

It took her sometime to gather the strength and courage to wipe the tears off of her face and plaster a big smile before walking inside to meet you.

You slowly opened your eyes as you gained consciousnes and looked beside you to see your mother smiling while the tears threatened to fall out of her eyes.

"You're awake my love? I was waiting for you to be up so that we can go home together. I'll make your favourite-"

"You don't need to pretend to be so happy mom. I know what the doctor said. There's no hope for me to survive. I was up the very moment he walked out of here and I heard everything he told you."

"Honey I..."

"It's alright mother. The world is way too mundane for me to live in. Maybe I'll be happy after death in another life..."

What if you had it all
But nobody to call?
Maybe then you'd know me
'Cause I've had everything
But no one's listening
And that's just lonely

I'm so lonely
Lonely

You were frustrated with everything. Everyone. Nothing that your family did for you could change the way you think about life.

You decided to visit the art museum alone. Out of everything in this world, art museums are the only thing you never get tired of. You find the world of colours comforting.

Walking around, your eyes shifted from one masterpiece to the other. You looked around, your eyes sparkling when they landed on a particular beauty. You stood infront of it and admired it for long.

"Beautiful isn't it?"

You were startled by the sudden voice. He walked and stood beside her, his eyes fixated on the same painting.

"Yes it is."

"Just like you..."

You were taken aback. It isn't usual for you to hear compliments. Your mom is the only one who does. But isn't every child beautiful to their parents? That doesn't mean you're attractive...or so you thought.

"I'm not..."

"And what makes you think you aren't?"

He leaned closer to you, his hands in his sweatshirt pockets as he kept a formal distance from you.