ONE

I HAVE NEVER BEEN A SPONTANEOUS spur of the moment kind of person. I have always been the girl that has to plan- I was a slut for planners- the one who had to decide months in advance to do anything. I wasn't one for adventures.

That's a bit of a lie. I loved the moments I had with my friends when we spontaneously went for drives or when spur of the moment things became my favorite memories. That sadly changed, because of him.

I lost my friends, my family, my happiness, and most of all I lost me. Because of him. I should have left when it first started, I really should have but I was naive. I really believed he would change back to who he was when we first dated, the person I fell in love with. Now, I know that it was all an act, once he got what he wanted his true colors came out.

I'm humbled and blessed to be here today, I got lucky, leaving when I did.

"So, Emberly Berry, what brings you to Littleton, New Hampshire?" The gentleman sitting at his walnut stained desk asks, bringing me out of my thoughts. His short blonde hair looks disheveled, black thick glasses perched on his straight nose; his green eyes shine with compassion as his hands play with my application.

"New scenery." Something like that. I give my best fake smile. His eyes quickly look me up and down questionably. He clears his throat as his hands move up to his lab coat, tightening it around his body as he crosses his arms.

"Didn't like what you saw in Oregon?"

"I had no reason to stay, thought I'd just move somewhere better."

"Did you manage to find a place here? That's a pretty big move."

"Yeah, I'm renting out a small cabin on the hill." I got extremely lucky. When I called around, an older woman answered for the cabin rental. It took a few tries to land a place in this small town, even if it's only temporary it's still perfect. Also, this town might just be temporary.

"Mrs. Hoover?"

"That's her." I smile.

"You got blessed, she's a sweet lady. There's a lot of kind people in this town. I just moved here last year, and they've been nothing but kind and caring. I guess they don't get a lot of new people here." He starts fiddling with his pen, muffled dog barks and chaos comes from outside the door. "So, any experience working at a veterinary?"

"Actually, no, I saw the receptionist position available." I blushed. This isn't like me, like I said I'm a planner. I was going to college to be a teacher, but due to an unfortunate situation, plans had to change, and I had to wing it.

"Listen, we're desperate and I'm going to be honest we haven't had a single person other than you apply, so with that being said, you're hired. Monday through Friday nine a.m. to five p.m." He quickly stands up and puts his hand out for a handshake, I quickly stand -of course, I knock my knee into his desk- playing it off like it didn't happen, I shake his hand. He's a very young, good-looking vet. I'm honestly surprised I don't see a ring on his fingers.

"Thank you so much Mr. Michaels, you won't regret it." The cliche lines run smoothly through my lips.

"You'll start on Monday." I nod my head as he leads me to his office door, as it opens the animal sounds get louder. The sad cries of dogs pull at my heartstrings. I wave goodbye before I quickly leave the building. The summer evening air is refreshing, a huge contrast to the heat I experienced in Hillsboro. I'm grateful I made it here last night. Molly Hoover was kind enough to leave the key under the mat.

I had arrived at one in the morning, the taxi cab dropped me off, the guy was nice.

Littleton is a beautiful, quiet town. Well at least from what I've seen in the daylight. It looks to be a very historic town, old buildings give it a very nostalgic vibe. So different from the busy, lively city where I'm from. It's very refreshing, I don't think I could ever go back to the city living after a place like this.