FOURTEEN

IT WAS LIKE GASOLINE MEETING A LIT MATCH. The gasoline being Alice and her father sitting at the table we once sat at an hour ago, and the lit match being, surprisingly, Misty.

It all started after Nolan and I walked back to the house, Nolan stood in front of the nice outdoor dinner table set- still holding me- standing in shock. I was honestly surprised he didn't drop me; I was more comforted by the fact if anything, he held onto me tighter.

John- Nolan's father- sat drinking whiskey at the head of the table, the rim held up to his lips as he took on the scene. Alice sat next to a man I haven't met before- I'm assuming it's her father- her perfectly manicured nails grip tightly onto her glass as she sends daggers my way.

As someone who has been burned before, I'm absolutely dreading this fire.

Nervously, I pat Nolan's shoulder- my way of letting him know to put me down- his piercing blue eyes instantly meet mine with an intense gaze before slowly putting me down. Nolan instantly steps in front of me, shielding me away from the flames.

"Nolan, please sit." The unfamiliar man says, his hand points towards the open seat that sits in front of him and Alice. His aura instantly makes me uncomfortable, he presents himself in a superior way. The way his brown eyes look at me with disgust has my stomach flip, his pointed nose is scrunched as he looks me up and down. Instantly, I feel Nolan tense under my fingers.

Nolan's fingers lightly grasp mine as he guides me over to the chair, sitting down as I awkwardly stand. I decide to take the empty chair next to him but apparently Alice's father has other plans.

"You're free to go, this doesn't concern you." I suck in a breath at the hostility in his voice.

I'm left stunned when Nolan's hand pulls me down onto his lap, his hands move around my waist- inflicting butterflies in my stomach at his touch- his firm grip holds me. Alice's face instantly turns into a scowl.

"If this concerns me, then it concerns Emberly. Do not disrespect her." Nolan's voice is so low it sends shivers down my spine, I can't tell if I'm intimidated or turned on.

Defiantly turned on.

"Son, you're disrespecting Alice. You're going to embarrass the family if you continue this inappropriate, rebellious game." I wish I could say John's words didn't break my heart, but then I'd be a liar.

"John Matthew Benson. How. Dare. You." Misty's voice drops lower on each word, venom dripping through her words. "Our son's happiness is our top priority, he's our son for christ sake. Your reputation will be nothing if you lose your son and you'll have no one to blame but yourself." Misty throws her napkin down, it's silent for a moment, the tension coming in like the fog over a bayou in Louisiana.

John slams his glass down, the ice cubes rattle against the rim. John's eyes look murderous as he stares at his wife, my heart breaks.

This is all because of me.

"Trent is my friend, let's not forget Misty how much you wanted Alice and Nolan to be together." John fires back, Alice's gaze flickers to mine as she shoots me a devious smirk.

"It doesn't matter what I want or what you want. You had your life, John; you made your choices. My son will get to live his life the way he wants, the way he envisions. If that's with Emberly, then he has my full support." The chair squeaks loudly as it slides back on the concrete, I wince at the sound, Misty stands up as she faces her husband head on. I'm terrified of the mother's protectiveness, but I have a newfound respect for her.

Trent's cavalier attitude shines as he stares at me, "See what you're doing? You're breaking up this family, I think you should leave." My heart plummets and tears brim my eyes.