TWENTY-ONE

I USED TO LOVE THE LOOKING GLASS, Brandy, the song in particular quickly became one of my favorites. One morning, when Nolan stayed over, I had wanted to spoil him with breakfast in bed. He had a long shift and came directly to me, after he got off. I loved how he found comfort in me.

Anyways, I was in one of his shirts, I 'borrowed', dancing around to the song as I cooked breakfast. When I turned around, Nolan was happily watching me embarrass myself. His joyous laugh boomed, the tilt of his head, eyes crinkled shut, left me breathless and in love. Nolan quickly joined in as we danced in the kitchen together, it was such a happy, loving time.

The song feels differently now as it plays on the radio, Burke sings along as he drives. He is just out to ruin everything that brings me joy, he wants to destroy me, emotionally and physically.

He's winning.

My eyes water with tears as I open them, tearing myself away from my dream state. I'm not sure how long we've been driving, but it feels like forever.

My body jerks as the car comes to a rough stop. The click of the seat belt has my heart racing, the seat belt smacks against the door as Burke carelessly tosses it. "I have to get gas, stay fucking down." He grumbles as he gets out of the car. I stay put, very silent as I hear Burke fumble with the tank. He curses loudly before I hear him slam the nozzle back onto the gas pump.

What a fucking idiot.

After a few moments, I shakily move to my knees, my arms that are behind my back make it difficult as I jerk around trying to sit up. I peak out the back window, instantly I notice people at the other gas pumps. I instantly start screaming and jerking around, begging for someone, anyone to see me. My screams are muffled, but I keep screaming. Tears fall down my face as the older gentleman at the pump next to me makes eye contact with me. Instantly he looks frazzled before shooting me a quick nod.

My eyes shoot to the gas station's doors.

Hope fills my body. There's so many people around, there's just no way he could get away. There's just no way. My eyes follow the man as he walks over to the windshield cleaner bucket, he shoots a nod at the female filling gas at her car behind him. Her eyes shoot over to me where I once again, aggressively move my body as I try to signal for help. She gets in her car and pulls up her phone before driving away. My heart drops into my stomach.

It's okay, there's still hope, there's still more people out there. Somebody has to help. I chant to myself, someone's going to help me. My eyes close as I send prayers, begging to be saved. Begging for someone to get me out of here. The older gentlemen tries to get the other people's attention but it doesn't look like anyone else wants to get involved. My heart pounds and pounds, my fingers twitch, I can feel the pulse in my ears as I look around. I scream and cry, begging for them to help. My breath shudders as I take in a deep breath after screaming, I sniffle as I continue to do whatever I can.

My eyes shoot over to the doors.

Still, people look at me but quickly look away, showing they don't want to get involved. How can they just stand there and act like they don't see a kidnapped girl? How could they live with themselves? My veins burn with exasperation.

My eyes shoot back to the doors.

It all happened so fast.

My eyes catch Burke storming out of the gas station's store, heading towards the van he walks diligently, I quickly move down to my stomach, placing myself exactly where I was. I hear muffled voices through the doors, my heart thuds hard against my chest.

"Mind your fucking business old man." Burke slams the car door and then speeds out, my body jerks painfully at every turn. "That fucking old man just couldn't mind his own fucking business." Burke mumbles angrily as he slams his fists against the wheel.

My hope starts to demolish, I didn't see anyone take the license plate. My breath hitches in fear of no one finding me. My hands sweat as my anxiety takes over. My heart hurts against my chest, closing my eyes I try to calm my breath.

Everything is going to be fine, they're going to find you.

Fight like hell.

I sniffle as my tears fall out of my eyes.

"Stop fucking crying." Burke snaps. Exhaustion hits me, my eyes start to fall shut, I'm finding it hard to keep myself awake. The seats in front of me start to blur until I succumb into darkness.

The slam of the car door jerks me awake, my eyes open wide. Darkness engulfs me, I've been kidnapped for hours now, since it's dark outside. I sob as tears fall, I'm never going to be found, I'm never going to be saved. I'm stuck. I'm stuck and there's no way to escape.

Someone please save me.