FIFTEEN

MY BLOOD RUNS COLD. I should have known better. I should have known things wouldn't last. I should have known that my happiness wasn't here to stay. I should have known.

From: Unknown

You can run, but you can't hide.

From: Unknown

I'm coming for you bitch.

Nolan quickly grabs my phone from my hands, I shriek as I try to take it back but we're in a bit of a wrestle while he tries to keep it away.

"No. I'm checking your fucking phone; you've been sitting there with a terrified look on your face. I refuse to be in the dark." His deep voice makes me wince. Nolan lets out a sigh as he rubs his temple. "I'm sorry baby, I shouldn't have raised my voice. But you have to understand after what you told me; I have to know things. Your safety is my number one concern." I play with my fingers as I softly nod. He's right, as much as I hate to involve him in my problems, he wants me, all of me. I would like to know what demons he faces as well. "May I please look at your phone Darlin."

I nod my head. My heart races as my nails dig into the palm of my hands.

Nolan's intake of breath makes my heart fall to my stomach. "You're going to stay with me, I'm taking you to and from work. I have a friend that's a cop, until we figure this out, you're not going to be alone." His tone is firm, he's telling not asking.

I trust him. So, I silently nod my head.

"Really? Is it that easy? No argument?" I can tell he means well; I know he's too stubborn to let this go, and if I'm being honest, I'm too scared to be alone.

"I'm scared Nolan..." I trail off looking out the window as tears fall. Of course, my tears take seconds to form and fall. I'm so tired of being scared. I'm weak, I shouldn't be crying, as much as I wish to be an independent bad bitch, I'm not. I need Nolan. He's managed to put together the broken pieces of my heart and make it into something so much better.

"Emberly, no one is going to hurt you." He grabs my face in his hands, his thumbs rub along my cheeks, the touch of him instantly calms me down. "After we get food, I'm going to take you back to work and I'm going to call my friend, alright?" He places a soft kiss on my forehead before quickly starting the car up again, taking us to the diner.

******

"So, do you have any idea who this could be?" The cop that Nolan called asks. Erick ended up stopping in as well since he was with him. The cop is around Nolan's age, he's pretty handsome, dark brown curly hair, green eyes and dimples, also another tall son of a bitch. But, he's nothing compared to Nolan... Not that I should be comparing anyways. If Nolan wasn't in the picture I probably might have swooned... Just a little, something about a man in uniform is just... Hot.

"I think it's my ex. I-uh- I have a restraining order on him." Jeremy and Angie stand around the desk, they're completely engaged in the conversation. Once again guilt hits me. I shouldn't be involving anyone in my mess. It's not fair for them to all be in this situation. Alice, Trent, and John are right.

A squeeze on my fingers catches my attention, I instantly look up and meet Nolan's concerned gaze. I look around the room and notice it's silent and the cop is looking at me expectedly.

"I-I-I' m sorry did you say something."

"Yes Ma'am, what's his name?" He has a pen and notebook out, he was taking notes this whole time, I of course made sure to show him the messages.