EIGHT

AMIDST MY SLEEPLESS NIGHT, I baked. Probably not in the way you're thinking.

I stayed up all night baking cupcakes and brownies for the firemen, as a thank you. I tried to keep my mind busy from the message I received last night, instantly I blocked it. I don't know how he got my number, but he did. The good news is at least he doesn't know where I am or otherwise, he'd already be here.

My heels click along the pavement as I walk to the fire station, the pavement is a little slick from the rain last night. The morning is surprisingly bright and sunny, given the storm last night. I walk up to one of the open garage doors, and a man stands there next to the truck. 

"Hello, I'm sorry to bug you but I baked you guys some cookies and brownies." The guy turns and looks at me, a large smile breaks out on his face.

"Well thank you darling, come on in real quick, I'm sure you're going to make everyone's day." He leads me into the station. We head up the steps, surprisingly the inside is up to date and upgraded. I was really expecting a run down old station, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

He leads me into the kitchen where a group of men stand listening to their chief. Once they're done with their meeting, the man I was with leads me over to the counter where we put the desserts. My eyes look around the room and they fall on Nolan's back. He's wearing his fireman zip up hoodie with his sweatpants. His head nods along with the man he's talking to, almost like he can feel my eyes, he slowly turns around. His straight face erupts into a wide smile before giving the man a pat and starts walking to me.

"Well good morning Emmie." His nickname he made up for me makes me blush.

"Hopefully this isn't weird, I know it isn't much, but I just wanted to thank you and the guys for what you all did for me yesterday." I shyly smile, I push my hair behind my ear, I tried a bit on my appearance today, curling my hair and adding a little bit more makeup, just in case I were to run into him.

His eyes follow the movement. "You look beautiful." As if I wasn't red enough, I am now, I haven't been complimented by a man- without being insulted first- in so long. My hands begin to feel clammy as I notice Nolan giving me his full attention.

"T-thank you." I shyly say. "I just wanted to drop these off, I should probably head into work." I smile and move to leave, Nolan surprises me as he moves with me. He opens the door for me as he places his hand on my back.

"How long did this take you to bake? You made so much." He chuckles as we walk out.

"Um, not too long." I laugh awkwardly rubbing my arm. I don't think it would be wise to say I haven't slept.

My eyes land on the shiny firetruck, I've never been this close to one before. I could not imagine driving something this massive.

"Have you ever been in one?" Nolan asks and I move my attention away from the truck to him.

"No I haven't, I've never been this close to one. They're awfully intimidating." I laugh as I walk forward. Loud laughter catches both of our attention. A group of little kids run up to the truck yelling. Nolan takes a deep breath before plastering a smile on his face.

"Oh Amber, you're here. What a pleasant surprise." Alice stands there with a fake smile. She walks up to Nolan and I. "Nolan, you never texted me back last night, I was worried." She puffs her lip out as she pouts. I turn my head to try and hide my annoyance. Of course, she would bring her kindergartners over here.

"I should go, nice chatting with you." I force a smile, insecurity bubbles within me as I take in how beautiful Alice is. I always wished I could look like her. Burke would always check out stunning girls in front of me, especially when they would flirt with him and he'd openly flirt back. Then he would tell me if I took better care of myself than maybe he'd be more interested in me.