TWENTY-TWO

I HEAR THE GAS PUMP through the nozzle, the only sound, apart from my sobs, can be heard in the lonely car. Eventually the gas stops pumping, the nozzle smacking around the tank's opening before he slams it back onto the pump. I wait in a tense silence, waiting for him to get in the vehicle, but it never comes.

Cautiously, I move once again to my knees as I fumble with trying to peep out the window. I see Burkes back as he walks into the little store. I quickly look around, trying to find someone but I'm left disappointed. There's no one around.

My chest heaves up and down as I take deep breaths, the further we keep driving I lose more and more hope. I have to think of a plan of action, I have to beat him at his own game if I'm going to get out of this.

My mind instantly goes to my friends I've made. Do they even know I'm gone? Do they actually care? Does Nolan think I just left him? My lip wobbles as I go back to laying on the floor, my body is drained. The car door opens suddenly, a muffled squeal leaves my lips.

"Well, I need a break from driving. Be a doll and do as the fuck I say." Burke's voice booms as he moves to the back seat, he slips the bandana away from my lips.

"H-How did you find me?" My voice is scratchy and hoarse as I speak, my mouth is dry as I slap my lips together, trying to fix the cotton mouth.

"Your friend." He says, as it was obvious.

"Olivia?" My heart breaks, I thought she didn't tell him anything, I don't undere-

"No. The other one. She found me on Instagram." What. "Alice? I guess she found you on Instagram, thank God you still had our photos up. You had me tagged in one of the pictures. So, she shot me a message. Told me you're being a slut running around town. I told her I was looking for you anyhow, told her I'd come to collect." He smirks like he's proud of being a fucking psychopath. Anger hits me like a fucking truck, I was found because of Alice.

"Well, I have to piss, this is coming back on." He gives me a devious smirk, instantly I feel disgusted. I shiver, shaking my head he forces the bandana in my mouth, I start screaming as he quickly leaves the car, locking it after him.

The lights flick off.

Every now and then random small noises would fill the silence.

I take a shaky breath as I look around for a weapon in the vehicle. My eyes search every corner, crevice within eyesight as I try to find something. To my disappointment, the car is completely clean, there's nothing that I could use.

Guilt begins to settle in, the pit of my stomach drops. My swollen eyes no longer have tears to shed. My nose is so stuffy I can't breathe through it.

My sobs puff out of my muffled cheeks, all that I can do is cry.

I cry for my parents.

I cry for Nolan.

I cry for Jeremy.

I cry for Misty.

I cry for Nolan's siblings.

I even cry for Nolan's father.

The piece of shit. He's not actually a piece of shit, we're all able to have opinions but I just wanted him to like me. For him to give me a chance.

Maybe this is a sick way of the universe telling me Nolan and I just don't belong. I look up to the sky, it's hidden by the van's ceiling, but I still look up, cursing and begging. What did I do to be here?

A pounding pulse runs through my head, I squint my eyes in pain. My headache is coming in strong, either from the crying or from the lack of water and food.

Probably both.

I close my eyes, I daydream of Nolan, my way of finding peace. I imagine his piercing blue eyes as he stares into mine, his fingers move along my bottom lip, his bed head makes him look boyish as he looks down at me with a beautiful smile.

The smile I fell in love with.

"Good morning beautiful girl." He would whisper, lips brushing against my ears as his deep voice sounds like music to my ears. "You look like an angel." his throaty chuckle would sound glorious with his morning voice. Blue eyes would shine in the bright morning sunlight. Mornings with Nolan were my favorite.

His fingers would run through my hair, lulling me into sleep, his fingers were always like magic. "Wake up baby." His voice says.

"Wake up my love, it's time to wake up." I blink my eyes staring into his, a beautiful smile on his lips.

"Everything is going to be okay baby." His lips brush against my ears, sending a sharp shock through my body.

I jump up on my knees, I shake my head as I try to clear my mind of the dream state. I look around the empty silent van. I take a deep breath as I look out the window. A black sedan is the only vehicle in sight, apart from the van, but it's parked in one of the parking spots in front of the little store.

My hope dissipates.

No Nolan. Everything isn't going to be okay.

An aggressive pounding on the back window has me jumping up onto my knees and screaming.