TEN

NOLAN SITS THERE WITH WIDE EYES, his lips part.

"Please, please don't end us. I mean we're not an us yet, but please give me a chance." He licks his lips nervously as he fidgets in his chair, his hands squeeze mine while he shoots me a pleading look.

Wait.

Oh shit, I shouldn't have started our conversation like that.

"No, no, shoot I'm so sorry Nolan, I shouldn't have started our conversation like that." I take my hands away from his as I cover my face.

Here I am, already failing miserably. Maybe I shouldn't talk about it. Calloused hands touch mine, Nolan grabs my hands as he brings them away from my face. His eyebrows furrowed as he stared at me.

"So you're not ending this?" He questions- like a confused puppy, he tilts his head- my heart instantly hammer against my chest at how infatuated I am with him. I shake my head no. He keeps my hands with his as he leans back and tilts his head back as he blows a sigh out of his mouth. "Jesus, you sure do know how to give a man a heart attack. I was ready to beg on my knees here in front of everybody." He shakes his head and laughs.

I give a small smile, reality is setting in that it's time I tell him. "You might though.." I trail off. The waitress walks up and asks us if we want our usual, we both nod and she quickly disappears. Nolan leans forward, his face wiped of emotion.

"Talk to me, let's be open and communicate. I'm not going to judge you Ember." I nod my head, the pressure in my chest starts to spike and I feel my hands shake. My breath hitches as I try to catch my breath. Tears unwillingly brim at my eyes, I'm mortified that I even have to talk about something like this.

"The real reason why I came here was because I wanted a fresh start. I was in a pretty bad relationship, he was my fiance, I ended up having to get a restraining order on him." My breath shakes as I try to muster up the courage. "I want to tell you so you know, you're free to run for the hills." I can't look at him, I'm too nervous to look at his facial expression.

"Emberly, I'm not going anywhere. If you're uncomfortable, we can wait to have this conversation at your place, instead of out in the open. But, I just want to reassure you that I'm not going anywhere. I do have a few questions but you don't have to answer a single one if you're not comfortable." My eyes shoot up to him in shock. I wasn't expecting him to be so calm about this whole thing.

"Let's eat and finish this conversation in private, okay?" His thumb rubs my hand in circle motions, his touch instantly calms me down, along with his reassurance. The waitress brings our food and we sit and eat. It's quiet between us, I wish I could know what he was thinking.

"I just wanted to put it out there you know, my reasonings for taking it slow, plus it seems like it's still an ongoing issue, I didn't want to throw my problems onto you." I start to ramble but his blue eyes meet mine, his stern facial expression makes me choke on my breath.

"Emberly, I want to get to know you. I want to make you mine, I'm invested, I'm still here because I want to be. Is this why you haven't been sleeping?"

"I-how-how did you know I wasn't sleeping?" I asked bewildered. There's no way he knows me that well already.

"Love, you made a shit load of brownies and brought them to us early as fuck. Plus, you've been distancing yourself when we text, I took a step back- I thought I was coming on too strong- and I just want to say, you look exhausted. Still beautiful of course darling, but you look tired." He gives me a sympathetic smile. The cute pet names do things to my stomach.

"I-I received a text from my ex a few weeks ago. Before coming here I got a new phone, I haven't even logged into my socials. I didn't want him to be able to find me, you know? But, he somehow got my new number and since then.." I trail off as I shiver, dread and fear flow through my body as I think about the possibility of him finding me.