FIVE

MY MOUTH FALLS OPEN IN SHOCK. My oven is actually on fire this time.

My heart pounds and It's hard to breathe as I try to figure out my next steps. Memories from my parents' house fire rise to the surface and tears fall down my face. My shortness of breath constricts my breathing as I shakily move around looking for a fire extinguisher. The fire alarms can barely be heard by the ringing in my ear.

Now isn't the time to panic Emberly.

Solve the problem and panic later.

My hands tremble as I search for a fire extinguisher, I yell out in frustration when I can't find one.

A loud pounding hits my front door and I quickly run to the door and open it. The firemen are quick as they run in to put out the fire. I can't catch my breath, my chest heaves in pain and I quickly run out, the fresh open breeze fills my lungs as I try to breathe. My tears run down my face.

"You know Emberly, I was just joking about waiting till my shift. If you wanted to se-" Nolan stops talking when I turn around his eyes widen before he rushes to me and engulfs me in a hug. I don't fight him. Maybe it was the exhaustion- maybe it was how warm he felt- maybe it was the comfort- maybe it was his comforting words-or maybe it was how I felt safe in his arms- that I let him hold me.

"Emberly, it's okay, you're okay. Breathe with me." He stands in front of me taking deep breaths, I follow his movements. The air filling my lungs burns but I feel myself catching my breath.

Another fireman runs up to us and takes off his helmet, once he does so I notice it was Erick. His eyes meet mine in a sympathetic gaze.

"It wasn't your fault Emberly. There was a short circuit. We got here in time. Everything is alright." His eyes look up from me to behind me, I'm assuming it's Mrs. Hoover. He gives me a quick nod before running off behind me.

I wipe my tears and sniffle as I try to calm down.

"Did you get burned?" Nolan asks, his voice catches my attention and I look at him, his eyes are on mine with a look of concern.

I shake my head no.

I was lucky, but how much luck do I have until it runs out?

Tears brim my eyes as I think about my parents. I never got the details on what caused the house fire for my parents. Burke didn't let me know anything, he wouldn't let me get the answer's I desperately needed. This small stove fire had me terrified. I can't even begin to fathom what my poor parents went through.

My heart breaks at the thought of how scared they were. They had to accept it, accept that they weren't going to get out.

My chest starts to restrict again and I feel my breath caught in my throat.

"Shh. Emberly, where did you go? Focus on me." Nolan takes my hands in his as he continues to show me how to breathe. My heart races and my palms feel clammy. The intensity of his eyes and his concern makes me do something I never thought I would.

"M-my parents." I try to say but it comes out in pieces. "Hou-house fire." That must have been enough when a look of realization came across his features. He pulls me into a hug, his gear is unformattable but it's worth it to be hugged. I feel myself start to calm down in his embrace.

"Emberly, dear. I'm so sorry." Mrs. Hoover's soft voice makes Nolan slowly pull away. I turn to look behind me. Tears fall down her face as she looks at me. She looks heartbroken.

"Mrs. Hoover, I'm the one-" She puts her hand up to stop me.

"No, don't blame yourself. It wasn't your fault. I should have put a new oven in there before you moved in dear." She comes up to give me a hug, the embrace has me fighting back tears. I haven't felt this much love in so long.