TWENTY

NOLAN POV

LIFE CAN CHANGE in a matter of seconds, minutes, and hours, time has no bounds. When I got into my truck, my heart felt heavy. For some reason leaving Emberly put a pain on my chest so strong, that my hand involuntarily moved up to rub it, like that was going to soothe the ache.

My eyes fell on Emberly's cabin one last time before turning the corner, heading to my mama's house. With a deep sigh I fumble with the music on the radio, the silence in my truck has me on edge. My fingers dance along the wheel with the beat.

My mind drifts to my beautiful Emberly.

My girl.

I'm obsessed with her; I can't stay away. The girl has stolen my heart completely. The pull between us is impossible to ignore, the sparks that fly as our bodies collide with each other, I just couldn't ignore that. Emberly is like a breath of fresh air; the sunbeams stand no chance against her radiating smile. Her bubbly personality sends my heart into a spasm. My family, apart from my pop, love Emberly. They all absolutely adore the girl, not as much as me but they're pretty close.

My car pulls into my parent's driveway, my eyes instantly notice how my mama's car isn't in the driveway, which means I have to deal with my pop alone. I grunt as I turn off the truck, it's time to face the music. I quickly walk into the house, leaving my boots on- I don't plan to stay for long- I head through the house and over to my father's study. There I find him sipping a cup of tea as he stares at his computer.

"Son." His deep voice says.

"Have you come to your senses?" I cut the bullshit, getting straight to the point. My father grumbles before rolling his eyes, he sets his tea down as he leans back against the seat. Interlacing his fingers, he places them against his stomach as he crosses his legs.

"I already told you, my thoughts."

"Listen, I'm going to say this once. I found a love that you and Mama have. I found the girl of my dreams, who loves me for me, who cares about me, who appreciates me, and who takes care of me. I see this girl being it for me dad. That's how serious we are. I love that fucking girl so much, it's shitty of you to even think about putting your two cents in when you didn't bother giving her a chance. You listened to your 'friend' over your own son. I plan to have a forever with her, whether you choose to be part of it is on you, but I'd choose carefully dad. You'll be left out in a few lives, not just mine. You told me, the best kind of love is the one you fight for." My father sits there, void of any emotion. He doesn't say anything as he turns in his desk chair, staring out at the garden.

I take that as my sign to go, I shake my head out of anger and walk out. There's only one place I want to be right now but there's one more stop I have left.

******

I finally pull up to the mayor's house, knocking on the door one of the maids answers. Gesturing me in, I follow the maid to the waiting foyer, she quickly excuses herself before heading up the stairs.

"Nolan." Alice smirks as she walks down the stairs, her pointy nails brush against the staircases railing. "I knew it wasn't going to take you long." Her sultry voice sounds seductive, I roll my eyes at her tactics.

"Alice, this is the last time I'm going to tell you. Leave my girl the fuck alone. I will call the cops for harassment. You need to move on, maybe I wasn't clear enough before, but I am now. Leave her alone. Leave me and my family alone." I make my voice firm, trying to get it through her fucking crazy mind that what we had was done, over and in the past.

"She's just going to leave, you know." Her eyes narrow in on me as she bubbles in anger.

"If she leaves I leave. She is it for me, please Alice, please leave us alone." Her eyes well up with tears before she runs up the stairs. I heave a sigh and rub my hands against my face. Mentally I'm exhausted, my plate feels so fucking full. But it's worth it, it's worth it to carry some of the burden my Emberly faces.

Emberly.

My heart flutters as I roll my shoulders back, trying to ease the tension off my back I head back to my truck.

To: Ember

Hey baby, I know you said you're fine but I think I need to bug you. I just want to snuggle, plus I think I saw somewhere where it said if your woman says she's fine, she's fucking lying. So, here I come baby.

I get into my truck and head to Emberly's place.

******

My truck door slams shut, I rub my chest as I head up the wooden steps. Mrs. Hoover's voice catches my attention. I quickly turn and look at her direction.

"Hi dear! Would you like some tea?" Her voice cracks as she yells, I chuckle and head over. I'm guessing Emberly doesn't feel up to having tea or otherwise she would be out here. I sit down in one of the chairs next Mrs. Hoover. "Here you go dear, I thought Emberly was with you? I tried knocking but there was no answer." My eyebrows furrow as I pucker my lips. That's not like Emberly, even when the girl is asleep and somebody knocks she gets up to answer,

"Let me go check on her." I set the tea down before jogging over, my knuckles rap against the door as I wait for my beautiful girl to open the door. I stand there for a few moments, hand on my hips as I wait. It usually doesn't take this long, if it does she usually shouts or something. "Emberly." I say before knocking again. I look over my shoulder as Mrs. Hoover walks over, tea in her hands.

"I brought this for her." She gives me a smile as she pushes her reading glasses up on her head.

Still no sign of Emberly.

The hair on the back of my neck stands up, chills run down my body. Alright, Nolan just relax, maybe she's in the bathroom.

"You're her boyfriend for christ sake just open the door." She cackles. I shrug, she has a point, I'm concerned I feel like it's a valid reason. My hands grip the door knob and I push open the door. My heart instantly drops along with the tea cup in Mrs. Hoover's hand.

"Call the police."