THREE

RUNNING AWAY FROM YOUR PROBLEMS ISN'T ALWAYS A SOLUTION but for me, I think it was.

I had received a text this morning from Olivia, my friend from back home, telling me that he was blowing up her phone hounding her for information on me.

Burke Walters is my ex-fiancé; he is the one I ran away from. Burke is a twisted, selfish, terrifying man. When we first got together, he was perfect. He was so loving, so kind, so supportive, so perfect. He was everything I dreamed of in a partner. But it didn't last long. After about a year of us being together, he really started to show his true colors. He was so jealous when I would hang out with my friends and family. He would get so mad whenever I'd go out, he wouldn't let me eat certain things.

The craziest part about everything, he manipulated me into thinking I wanted to eat differently, that I wanted space from my friends and family. When you fall in love with a person, you truly get blinded by their actions. At the time we were together, everyone hated him, obviously not in the beginning because he was different. It was when he started to isolate me was when everyone started to get worried.

My parents, this was the hardest part- my biggest regret in life, was isolating myself from them. Burke kept telling me that my parents were being rude to him, excluding him, treating him like shit. He told me they made him feel worthless, that he wasn't good enough for me. At the time I was so hurt at his confession, he would never tell me how he was actually feeling, so the fact that he was opening up I honestly believed him.

I brought it up to them and my parents told me how he's isolating me and how I'm not seeing what he's doing to me. I think it fit his narrative, especially when they told me to break up with him. I was devastated. The people I loved couldn't get along and I had no idea how to fix it.

So, I had run to Burke's house in tears, telling him about my concerns on how he treated me. His brown eyes that reminded me of puppies, had filled me up with tears at how heartbroken he was that my parents said that about him. Which crushed me even more, he kept repeating and repeating how they're trying to break us up, that I had to choose him or them. So, when I told him he couldn't make me choose something like that, he threatened to end his life if I left him.

How could I leave?

At the time I thought it would be my fault. So, I stayed.

I wish I hadn't. That night, as I laid with Burke, we had both fallen asleep after the emotional night, I had received a phone call.

My parents died in a house fire.

From there, my life spiraled out of control. I think Burke used my emotional state to his advantage, he knew I was vulnerable. He knew I needed someone since I no longer had my friends.

He got me exactly where he wanted me.

Things got worse as time went on. His emotional abuse was horrible. I lost so much weight, he wouldn't let me eat things anymore, he said I was too heavy. He would tell me how pretty I was when I was skinnier, how much more beautiful I was, and then he'd turn it around and say how he was being strict on dieting because I wanted to lose weight. Because I wasn't happy with myself.

I was losing my mind and I was alone.

The self-pity came next, me telling myself I deserve this because I chose this. I chose him.

I know now, I didn't but she didn't.

I got to a point in my life where I hated myself, I hated how I looked, I hated how I chose him, I hated how I wasn't home with my parents that night.

I became this insecure, depressed, heartbroken girl. I knew I needed help.

But then things escalated, instead of emotional abuse it turned physical. He had gotten mad because I went out with Olivia. I obviously didn't tell him why I saw Olivia, he didn't need to know I was planning on leaving him yet. But, he got angry, the worst I've ever seen. He started off by slapping me, telling me I can't go anywhere without him, that I was a slut cheating on him. He just kept going and going with the name calling and then I was an idiot when I interrupted him. I shouldn't have, but I needed to explain myself.

But, it didn't matter what I said, in his mind he had his story.

So, he punched me. When I fell to the floor he pulled my hair up screaming at me, telling me how worthless, useless, and pathetic I am. I was terrified for my life, I thought I was going to die. I begged and begged him to stop. But the pain kept coming with the kicks to my stomach.

Afterwards, after he took his anger out on me, he was happy. He started kissing me, hugging me, and acting sweet. Like nothing happened. He acted like he didn't hurt me.

I waited till he fell asleep.

Once he did, I got out of there. I stayed with Olivia for a few days. I dropped out of college, I quit my job, I got a new phone and I picked a random town that was far far away from here. Once I managed to figure as much stuff out I got in touch with a lawyer and managed to get a restraining order from Burke.

That just made him angrier, but I knew I had to stick around for a few days. The restraining order made me feel better, safer as I continued to figure things out. Once my face healed up, that's when I decided to make my move. It took awhile to get to this town, a couple bus rides and airplane trips. I wanted to make sure there was no way of Burke following me. I was paranoid as hell on my way here.

I know I got away safely when Olivia messaged me last night. I just hope nothing bad happens to her because of me.

"Just check in with the receptionist there for Kevin's next appointment." Mr. Michaels voice brings me out of my deep thoughts. A woman holding a maltese walks up to me, she's got a large smile on her face when she sees me.

"Hello Dear, I'd love to schedule a check up in a few months." Kevin looks at me with his big brown eyes making my heart swell.

God, puppies are cute as fuck.

"Of course Ma'am. I'll get you right on the schedule. " I write down the date and time on the little card and hand it to her. She gratefully takes it before heading out the door, Kevin's tail wags enthusiastically.

My first shift passed slowly. I guess the plus side of living in a small town is that it doesn't get too crazy.

"Here, some lunch for you Ms. Berry." Mr. Michael sneaks up behind me with a large bag.

"Oh Mr. Michaels, you didn't have to."

"Ms. Berry, one of my biggest concerns here is that everyone who works for me feels like family. We look out for each other, and we make sure everyone is fed." He gives me a warm smile and I can't express the happiness I have at the moment. "I went to that diner down the road, it's amazing , so eat up. You'll be meeting my tech tomorrow."

As we eat, we talk and get to know each other. It's refreshing to know my boss will look out for me. I've never had someone buy me lunch before. Before we know it our break time is over, we quickly clean up and then wait for the next customer.

"Is your first day going okay?"

"It's been amazing, a lot of the owners really like you."

"Thank you Ms. Berry, I just really love animals and I'm glad people in this town are actually nice." He laughs as he leans against the reception desk. "Alright, I'm going to go to the back and get things ready and organized. The next customer is a favorite of mine, they should be here any minute." He gives me a smile and a charming awkward fist bump that leaves me laughing as he quickly heads to the back.

I sit down at the desk and play with the sticky notes in my hands waiting.

Soon enough the door opens and a gorgeous Australian shepherd comes running in. I walk around the desk and kneel to pet the excited dog.

"Well what do you know, told you I'd be seeing you around."