THIRTEEN

IT WOULDN'T BE A FAMILY DINNER WITHOUT DRAMA.

Instantly, I'm feeling guilty, guilty because Mr. Benson hasn't conversed with anyone, until now. Which, it seemed like everyone here- but me, obviously- knew what was going to happen when he cleared his throat. Nolan's hand that's on my thigh froze the instant Mr. Benson cleared his throat. Now, when he finally spoke, Nolan's grip tightened instantly making me feel nervous. Not nervous as in he would hurt me, but nervous that the tension was probably going to get worse.

"John. Can we please not do this." Misty's tone was short and intimidating, the look she gave John left no room for compromise, but sadly it looked like he really didn't give a fuck.

"Son, I asked you a question." He calmly states, staring at Nolan.

"What happened between Alice, and I stays between Alice and I." The wind instantly gets knocked out of my chest. Of course, this seems to be a never-ending problem that keeps getting brought up.

"It is when Trent brings it up in front of investors at the course." John's voice comes out loud and clipped.

I instantly flinch, not intentionally but the tone reminds me of someone who I don't want to be reminded of. Nolan's hand starts to rub soothing circles on my thigh, calming me almost instantly but I still feel my body is on high alert. I've never been one that deals with confrontation, I'm the emotional person that cries at everything. So I'm definitely out of my element.

"Alice doesn't take no for an answer,' I told her my honest feelings. That's it, can we please drop it." Nolan's voice comes out low and threatening, a tone I haven't heard from him before. Sadly, John doesn't stop.

"Why are you doing this? Alice is such a good fit for you, she came to my office the other day in tears because of Emberly here," He pauses as his cold brown eyes lock on me, instantly my body flushes with embarrassment and I look away. "was rude to her." I start to nervously play with my fingers, guilt hits me like a car, I can't believe I'm ruining brunch.

My eyes instantly lift and follow Nolan's hand as he moves it off my thigh and grips the table, his knuckles turning white.

"Alice says she's a gold digger and that Emberly is after your money. You're going to let this stranger into your home, into your life, just because she's a new pie-"

"Shut the fuck up." Nolan's voice booms making everyone at the table, including his father, jump. "You don't know a fucking thing. You won't even try to get to know Emberly, which is a completely heartbreaking dad. I'm absolutely disgusted by how you're treating her. You raised me to be a man, yet you're acting like a child because I won't date your best friends fucking daughter. Alice is a shitty human being, I refuse to surround myself with that." Nolan instantly lets go of the table and abruptly stands up, the table shaking at the force. His stormy blue eyes land on mine, the anger in his eyes softly dissipates as he looks at me.

"Mother, thank you for brunch, bros you know where I am. I'll see you later." He lightly grabs my hand and leads me up the steps, it's silent between us. Nolan is lost in his thoughts and I'm lost in mine. I feel guilty for ruining brunch. Guilty for being the cause of the rift between his father and him. Guilt that I track drama where I go. Guilt for being so fucking turned on.

I've never, in my life, had someone stand up for me.

The confidence that radiated Nolan as he spoke up about me had me crossing my legs instantly as arousal hit me like a deer on the interstate.

"Emberly, Nolan, wait!" A very out of breath Misty came running up behind us. Nolan instantly stops but keeps his hand firmly interlocked with mine. "I made your father leave.. Please.. Please stay, Emberly sweetheart. I'm so sorry." Misty's eyes mist as she looks at me, her bottom lip trembles as she looks at me. My heart instantly breaks and falls down to my stomach. I feel like I'm drowning in guilt.