2

I met Emma Carter three years ago. I had just moved to London, following my dreams of being a journalist. I didn't know anyone and I was quite a bit away from home, so it wasn't easy to meet up with friends and family. I began to grow quite lonely, actually. Emma and I were both interns, both working in the same department, and naturally we were drawn to each other. We knew each other for around two years before we decided to move in together. Half the rent costs and always having someone to talk to; sounded like a good deal to me.

-----

"So, what happened with Elliot?" I ask, grinning at Emma from across the table. Emma, who has just taken a huge bite out of her croissant, stares at me blankly.

"Elliot?" She asks back, her brain clearly scrambling to figure out who I'm talking about.

"You know, Elliot. Tall guy, dark hair, dimples, Italian, works in HR," I remind her, taking a sip of my latte afterwards.

"Oh, Elliot! Yeah, no. Not my type," Emma says, slightly rolling her eyes and turning to gaze out the window onto the street.

"What did he do wrong?"

"Nothing, nothing. Just didn't like him," She says. Lies. Emma is very, no, extremely picky when it comes to dating. The slightest thing can make her change her mind in an instant. I actually feel quite sorry for her, she's so quick to close herself off that I wonder if she will ever find someone.

"Besides, I have my eye on someone else..." She trails off.

I simply nod my head in response, knowing she won't tell me who.

"Hurry up and eat your muffin, Y/N. I want to go to that new bookstore down the street."

-----

"I'm absolutely fuming! That's way overpriced. Ten pounds fifty for one book! Not on, no way!" Emma rants as she drags me out of the building.

"I mean, it was quite a big book, Emma. Plus, it's a new shop, in London," I say, trying to calm down the dragon next to me as the anger is near enough radiating off of her.

"I guess so. You're stupid if you're paying that for one book though," She laughs as I shoot her a grin.

We continue to walk down the street, looking into the shop windows as we pass by. Talking about anything and everything to pass the time.

Suddenly, an almighty screech echoes from behind us, pulling us out of our conversation. An old woman, I'd guess in her eighties, is lying, out cold on the pavement. I immediately drop my bags and dash over to her, checking for a pulse. By now, a crowd of people have also joined me, doing everything possible to help the woman. A man, who looks around my age, is on the phone, calling an ambulance. 

"Y/N, you can't just run off like that!" Emma scolds me, coming up to sit next to me, placing our bags in between us.

For a moment, I glance up, only to be met by the gaze of the man on the phone. It's quite creepy, actually. It's like he's staring into my soul. I brush it off, returning my attention to the elderly woman. However, I can't help but think about him. Who is he, and why is he staring at me?

-------

A/N: Hey, thank you for reading this chapter! Thanks for all the love on the book so far it's amazing to see <33