25

Have you ever cried so hard that you physically cannot breathe? Sucks, doesn't it. Well, I'm experiencing that right now. It's so agonising that the tears falling down my face feel like hot burns. Emma rubs my back as she tries to soothe me, the action much appreciated by me but also failing to achieve its goal.

"Not to be blunt, but if he's making you so unhappy why don't you break up with him?" Emma asks as I lift my head from my knees, her sympathetic facial expression indicating I look a wreck.

"I can't, Emma," I sniffle, using the sleeves of my hoodie to wipe my tears from my face, "Trust me, if I could I would. But I can't do it, I'm everything I want to be when I'm with him."

"What do you mean?"

"I feel so at home with him, like, he's my person," I admit, crying even harder at how painful my heart feels. The only way to describe it would be similar to that of a stabbing pain. Emma lets out a sympathetic sound as she pulls me into a tight hug, "He's mine."

"It's so frustrating because I don't have any solid proof, just a gut feeling and people exchanging looks. Hardly even evidence. I must sound insane, but I know I'm right, I just know I am."

"Well, I believe you," Emma admits, now brushing through my knotted hair with her fingers. Surprisingly, she's extremely gentle. Somehow the action reminds me of how everyone else seems to be treating me - as fragile, "It's hardly like you can convince them to tell you though, you don't know them all that well."

I stop crying. I stare blankly into space as my mind begins to swirl with ideas, albeit rather stupid ones, but one is nothing but perfect. That's just it. If they won't tell me because they don't know me, then make them know me. I'm aware that sounds ridiculous, trust me I do, but I can't shake this gut feeling and I know what it's telling me to do.

"So, what if they got to know me?" I ask, looking up to Emma with the faintest of smirks. Emma seems to have caught onto my plan, "They'd tell me then."

"What? No, Y/N, you can't do that, it's not fair to them," Emma pleads with me, but I'm already tying my shoes.

"Y/N, seriously, you can't put them in that position," Emma states rather sternly, now standing in front of the door to act as a barrier.

I chuckle slightly before opening the door, but Emma uses force from her back to shut it again, "Emma, I can handle myself, just let me go," I beg, nodding my head at my own response. Emma thinks briefly before letting out a disappointed sigh and opening the door. Is she disappointed in me for going, or is she disappointed in herself for allowing me to?

"Thank you," I say as I grab my keys and make my way out into the corridor of out apartment building. As I'm about to leave I can hear Emma clear her throat, so I turn around.

"Just realise what you're asking of them."

-------

A/N: Heyy, hope you all enjoyed! Thank you so much for all the votes and reads recently, it really means the world!