fifteen

Declan was woken up by the smell of coffee and fresh pastries.

He rolled over, clutching his temples, and trying to soothe the pressure beneath his skull. His brain was throbbing, and his body was aching, and he could have sworn that he had never been this hungry before. He grabbed the packet of painkillers on his nightstand - courtesy of Sebastian, he was sure - and downed two with a gulp of water.

He groaned as he sat up, and decided that he didn't have enough energy to actually leave his bed yet. Instead, he watched Sebastian, who was cleaning the dirty dishes Declan had left in the kitchen sink yesterday.

"You don't have to do that." Declan told him, cringing at how raspy his voice sounded.

Sebastian turned around, and offered him a smile, "You're awake."

"I'll finish those later." Declan gestured to the dishes, "Leave them, it's alright."

"I don't mind." Sebastian shrugged, "I'm nearly done-"

"It's not your mess-"

"No, it's yours, and I'm happy to help you with it." Sebastian replied cheerfully.

Declan rubbed his eyes, trying to stop the room from spinning. He gave up eventually, collapsing back onto the mattress, and pulling the covers over his head. "Oh, fuck." He mumbled, "Evan." He reluctantly pushed the duvet aside again, and fumbled around for his phone.

"It's over here." Sebastian said, ripping off his soapy rubber gloves, and picking Declan's phone up off of the kitchen counter. He crossed the room, sat down beside Declan, and handed him his phone.

Declan offered him a sheepish smile, "Thank you." He turned on his phone, and a message from Evan popped up on the screen. It simply read 'I'm okay. At breakfast with Cal. His lego collection was adorable.' Declan smiled in amusement, and tossed his phone onto his bedside table, before sinking back into his mattress.

"Is he alright?" Sebastian asked warily.

"He's fine." Declan sighed, "He's...He's Evan."

Sebastian snorted, "Glad to hear it." He stood up again, grabbed a white paper bag off of the counter, and held it up for Declan to see, "I bought you a pastry."

Declan propped himself up on his elbows, "You went out?"

Sebastian shrugged, "Well, you were still sleeping, so..."

"Sorry." Declan scratched his head bashfully, "I've got a raging hangover."

"Don't worry, I got you coffee, too." Sebastian held up a paper cup, "It might be a little cold, but..."

"It's alright." Declan smiled, "Thank you." He couldn't express his true gratitude, but he hoped Sebastian knew. It was a gesture so simple, and yet, it meant to much. Because the truth was, no one had ever been as sweet to him as Sebastian was.

They sat side by side on Declan's bed, their backs pressed to the wall, their legs stretched out in front of them. Declan sipped on his coffee, and ate his pastry, and let the painkillers slowly start to kick in. The silence between them was nice. It was comforting.

"Do you want me to go?" Sebastian asked eventually.

"What?" Declan shot back immediately, "No."

Sebastian fought the smile that was tugging at his lips, "You don't have work?"

"No." Declan shook his head, "Do you?"

"No."

Declan smiled softly, reaching over to tangle his fingers between Sebastian's, before giving his hand a short squeeze, "Okay."