thirty seven

When the plane took off, Declan instinctively reached out to grab Sebastian's hand, holding it tight, afraid that if he let go, he would fall right back down to the ground below, which was rapidly growing further away as the plane soared into the sky.

Sebastian squeezed back, just like he had last time.

Declan spared a tentative glance out the window, then immediately regretted it when he realised that they were flying above the clouds, too high to see the world below, "Fuck." He muttered, turning to face Sebastian, "Fuck, I hate planes. I fucking hate planes. We should've driven home instead."

"From Italy?" Sebastian asked cautiously.

"Sure." Declan shrugged, "That would only take - what - a day?"

The corners of Sebastian's lips curled into a smile, "Yeah, okay." He agreed, his thumb brushing over Declan's knuckles, "Next time, we'll drive."

"Good. That's good." Declan rambled, desperate to distract himself, to avoid looking out the window.

"Neither of us have a car." Sebastian pointed out, "So, that might be an issue."

"What about a train?"

"If you want."

Declan clenched his jaw, "I hate this, Seb." He breathed out shakily, "I hate flying."

"I know." Sebastian murmured softly, "I know, darling, I'm sorry. The plane ride is only a couple of hours-"

"That's too long-"

"You managed it last time-"

"Barely."

"But you did." Sebastian reminded him.

Declan was itching to touch his ring, to fiddle with it, to twist it around his finger, like he always did when he was nervous, but he refused to let go of Sebastian's hand. "Can you distract me?" He pleaded helplessly.

Sebastian nodded, "What was your favourite part of the trip?"

"All of it." Declan blurted out.

"Even Harvey?" Sebastian teased.

"Even Harvey."

"He's growing on you, huh?"

"I never disliked him." Declan confessed, "I just..." He leaned closer into Sebastian's side, searching for comfort, knowing that nothing bad could possibly happen when Sebastian was next to him, "He's a very easy target."

"I'll give you that."

"What was your favourite part?" Declan asked.

Sebastian smiled at him, reaching over the armrest to brush his fingertips across Declan's cheekbones, "My favourite part?" He sighed in content, "Your freckles."

Declan groaned in embarrassment, "Don't."

"They're adorable."

"I don't like them."

"I love them." Sebastian said, his voice catching on the word 'love', as though it hurt him to say out loud. "You get so many in the sun." He continued, his fingertips still tracing Declan's freckles, mesmerised by them, as though he was studying a galaxy of stars scattered across Declan's face, "I would kiss each one if I could - if we weren't in public."

Declan gulped, feeling his cheeks heat up, "Is this you distracting me?"

"Is it working?"

"A little too well."

Sebastian grinned, leaning forward to peck Declan on the tip of his nose, "You got plans later?"

"If I don't die in a plane crash? No."