twenty

The diner was quiet when Harvey and Calvin pushed through the glass doors at lunchtime. The morning rush had fizzled out into a slow stream of customers, and the rain was keeping most people at home. Declan was wiping down a table, Evan leant against the back of a chair, watching him work, and humming to the music that played through the speakers. When Declan noticed Harvey and Calvin, he exchanged a look with Evan, who promptly stumbled over the chair he was grasping - how that was possible, while standing still, Declan would never know.

"Calvin!" Evan rose his hand to wave, his cheeks instantly reddening, his smile widening just as quickly.

Declan rolled his eyes, grabbing Evan's arm, and shoving it down to his side, "You're acting like a schoolgirl with a crush." He murmured.

"Hi." Calvin grinned at him, stopping beside the table Declan had just cleared. He was hugging a hard hat to his chest, and bouncing his heel up and down nervously. "You look...uh..." He cleared his throat, scanning Evan up and down hesitantly, "Pink looks good on you."

"Really?" Evan blurted out, his eyes blown wide, "I didn't...I've never really..."

"God, this is painful." Declan commented dryly.

"You read my mind." Harvey snorted, sparing a disgusted look in Evan and Calvin's direction, though there was fondness in his gaze, too.

Evan and Calvin continued flirting bashfully, throwing clumsy compliments, and half-formed jokes at each other. They both had pink cheeks and sheepish smiles. Despite how sickening Declan found it, he couldn't help but feel his chest swell with warmth. It made Declan happy to watch his friend - who had cried in his arms just last night, after staying over at his for the fourth time in just two weeks - find comfort in someone else.

"Hey, Declan, have you got a minute?" Harvey asked, his tone a shade darker, his eyes lacking the warmth they had emanated just a moment ago.

Declan frowned, "Is everything okay?"

Harvey nodded, and offered Declan a smile that was anything but convincing, "Everything's fine, I just... I wanna talk to you about something."

With his nerves fluttering in his chest, Declan turned to Evan, pulling on his arm to drag him out of his conversation with Calvin, "I'm gonna take my break now." Declan murmured, "Just grab me if you need me."

Evan nodded, "'Course." He smiled, then quickly turned back to face Calvin, "Fancy doing some washing up for me?"

"Unpaid labour?" Calvin teased.

"Well, if I'm caught chatting to you instead of working I'll get told off." He explained, "Unless I stick you on the pot wash. Winnie doesn't mind it then." He shrugged, "All my friends do it when they come for a visit - not that you're a..." His eyes widened, and he opened and closed his mouth a few times in quick succession, clearly looking for the right thing to say.

"I'm not a friend?" Calvin asked jokingly.

"Well, you're...you're a..."

"It's okay." Calvin laughed, "I'll be whatever you want me to be."

Evan's expression relaxed, and his smile returned, brighter than ever. He looped his arm around Calvin's and dragged him behind the counter. Their voices faded, and Declan was left with a sense of dread that crawled up his throat and choked him. He turned to face Harvey, who was pointedly not looking at him.

"What is it?" Declan asked quietly.

"Can we sit somewhere?"

Declan nodded, slipping into the nearest booth, leaving Harvey to slide in opposite him.