thirty

Declan was already in love with his and Evan's new apartment.

It had high arched windows, framed by heavy white curtains. The floorboards were scuffed, and the walls painted beige. The bathroom tiles were blue, and the kitchen countertops were made of granite. It was nothing special. Declan thought it was perfect.

Harvey had found an old sofa abandoned on the side of the road, dragged it across town, and recruited Sebastian and Calvin to help him lug it up three flights of stairs to Declan and Evan's new apartment. Sebastian had hung up blinds in each bedroom, and changed all the flickering lightbulbs. Evan had acquired an old rug from his uncle's house, and laid it out in the living room. Declan had stuck up posters and placed a houseplant in every corner. And slowly, it became a home.

"Hey, you got a minute?"

Declan turned around, and his gaze met Harvey's, "Sure."

Harvey stepped into Declan's bedroom, which was still incomplete; his clothes hadn't been packed away, and the walls were still bare. Declan's presence was only marked by the dirty converse on the floor, and the skateboard beside them. He kicked a stack of boxes aside so Harvey could enter, then sat down on the end of his bed — which was just a mattress for the time being.

"I got you a present." Harvey announced.

Declan frowned, sure that he had heard incorrectly, "You got me a present." He repeated slowly.

Harvey kicked Declan's door shut, so Sebastian and Evan — who were assembling a chest of drawers in Evan's new bedroom — couldn't hear them. "It's a mix between a late birthday present, a housewarming gift, and a thank you." Harvey explained.

"A thank you?" Declan asked curiously.

"For not telling Seb." Harvey replied, and the guilt practically bled out of him, "About...y'know, the time I showed up at the diner—"

"When you told me he was meeting up with Felix." Declan said plainly.

Harvey nodded, "You could have said something — you probably should have — but you didn't."

Declan shrugged, "You don't need to thank me, Harvey." He told him earnestly, "I never had any intention of telling Seb." It was the truth; he didn't want to jeopardise Sebastian and Harvey's friendship. There were some things that were better kept secrets.

"Still." Harvey smiled, then pulled out a framed picture from behind his back, and handed it to Declan, "It's not wrapped — sorry."

Declan stared down at it. It was a photo of himself, Sebastian, Harvey, and Evan, taken on Declan's birthday.

Harvey glanced around, scanning the plain walls, "You could do with a few photos." He commented, "This place looks like a hospital suite."

Declan scoffed, "Maybe that's what I was going for." He teased.

"Well, if so, then you've really pulled it off — well done."

Declan nudged Harvey's shoulder playfully, "Thank you." His gaze fell back down to the photograph in his hands. They all had joy in their eyes, and warmth in their smiles. Evan's head was resting on Harvey's shoulder, and Declan's pinky was hooked around Sebastian's.

His chest swelled with warmth, and he had the inexplicable urge to cry. He cared about Sebastian, Harvey, and Evan so much, he could hardly contain his affection for them.

He wondered if they knew how much they meant to him.

He hoped they did.

"D'you think we should go and help Seb and Evan?" Declan asked, hoping Harvey wouldn't notice the strain in his voice. He was still holding the photograph, and found that he didn't want to let go of it yet.