~27~

May 4th, 2022

"Ms. Carey, is it true you saw your daughter after 23 days of her being missing?" District attorney Matthew Wesley asks as Alycia's mother sits at the witness stand. Y/n watches Alycia's mother's body language. She was nervous, it was written all over her face. Y/n could see that, meaning other people could see it as well.

"That's true yes," Alycia's mother responds, gently, her eyes slowly trailing over to Y/n. Their eyes lock and Y/n can see the uncomfortableness in the woman's eyes before she tears her eyes away, however Y/n's eyes remain on the woman, leaning back in her seat, placing her fingers over her lips. Their eyes squint as Wesley continues his questioning.

"How'd you find your daughter?" Wesley asks and Alycia's mother Leone shakes her head.

"I didn't. I got a message from Y/n," Leone spoke and Wesley tilts his head.

"You got a message from Y/n Williams?"

"Yes."

"What did the message say?"

"It asked me to go to a location and to meet with a driver named August-" Leone pauses and shifts slightly in the seat. "It also said Alycia's waiting."

"And you just willingly did this, not knowing anything else?"

Leone nods and bites her bottom lip for a second. "I wanted to see my daughter, nothing else mattered."

"Right. So what happened when you got to this location?"

"August took me to some place. As we pulled up I saw Y/n and Alycia standing together, both of them looking at the car-" Leone pauses the continued. "I got out and Alycia ran to me. We hugged and we talked, talked for a while actually."

"Did Alycia seem in trouble?" Wesley questions standing by the jury, hesitation rising in Leone's eyes.

"I don't know. She was hard to read," Leone responds, looking down at her hands, picking at the end of her skirt. "But I got to see her. After 23 days of not hearing from her, I got to see my baby girl."

Silence comes over the courtroom as Wesley takes a few steps away from the jury and glances around the room.

"Mrs Carey, if I may ask, while you and your daughter were talking, where was the defendant?" Wesley asks carefully.

"They were standing by the driver by the car, a little ways away from us, but their eyes never left Alycia. It's like they were protecting her, watching her/"

"To make sure she didn't slip up?"

"Objection your honor, leading," Freya McCall shouts as Wesley nods.

"Withdrawn. No further questions your honor," Wesley speaks back and goes to his seat. Judge Rollins nods and looks to McCall nodding as Y/n's lawyer stands and cups her hands together in front of her, walking towards the stand, but keeping distance once she gets there.

"Hello Mrs. Carey, how are you feeling?" Freya asks as Leone picks up her head finding McCall wearing a small smile.

"Fine. I'm doing fine," Leone answers, gently. McCall nods and softens her smile.