Father's Words

Marco drove like a madman while going to his Father's house. Everything was getting out of hand. He didn't want to believe that his Father would allow rogues to hurt Alyara. He finally arrived at his destination and saw Arturo throwing knives at targets. Arturo saw his Nephew and went to him. "Marco, how are you? Wait, what happened to you?"

"Did you know?"

"Know what?"

He shook his head. "An Alpha came to me and told me that rogues entered his territory and attacked him and my friend, Alyara."

This surprised Artutro. "Alyara? Wait, isn't she your childhood friend or something? She's an Alpha's mate?"

"Yes, however, rogues were allowed through one of our protection units. You know that Dad would never let rogues roam free. The only explanation is that he let them. Now, where is he?"

His Uncle stood silently until he responded that Tristan was in the living room. The men entered the house where Tristan was reading paperwork by the fireplace. The older noticed them enter the house; his eyes were emotionless as he returned to his paperwork. 

"Dad, is it true?"

"What's true?"

Marco walked before his Dad and took the papers away from his hands. "You let rogues pass by one of our protection units! It's no coincidence that our unit was close to this Alpha territory. Alyara was there too! She could have been killed!"

Tristan looked at his son with no expression. "You let them become too close. Of course, I expected this from you. Now your friend is part of those animals' world."

The young man was in disbelief. "You let the rogues roam free so they could kill the Alpha. They could have killed Alyara; she is innocent! 

"You've spoken with him."

"Well, he and his wolves broke into my apartment and kept me captive! He was angry that rogues were allowed in his territory and that Alyara could have gotten hurt!" Marco threw the paperwork to the floor. "Even if Alyara is now part of the werewolf world, she is still innocent and a human! Even that dog and his pack are innocent. They have done nothing wrong!"

"Yet, you did nothing to convince your friend to leave the dog. She should have learned the consequences when accepting to be part of their world. Your friend is to blame for putting herself in danger."

Marco glared at his Father. "You're the one who has gone so low, Dad. You're using your position to try to kill innocent werewolves. You..."

"What are you trying to say, son?"

The young man took a deep breath. "You are a destroyed man who lost his purpose. All you want is for those werewolves to feel your pain, even though they had nothing to do with it. Those werewolves who killed Mother are dead. Why should other innocents suffer because of our loss? You are just reliving your loss and trauma. If you can't be happy, why should others, right?"

Suddenly, Tristan stood and punched his son across the face. Arturo immediately got in front of Tristan, pushing him away. "Marco, leave! You know how your Dad is!"

Tristan pushed his brother away. "You think you're brave for speaking to me that way. Well, that's just pure stupidity, Marco. It should have been you that should have died that day, not her."

Arturo motioned his Nephew to walk out of the house. "Tristan, that's enough! You're talking bullshit!"

"We could've had other children that would have made great Hunters. You're nothing more than a mere disappointment. Don't bother visiting or calling me. You were never meant to be a Hunter." 

Arturo couldn't believe what he heard his brother tell Marco. The older man looked at his Nephew, who was emotionless. The two left the house, and Arturo breathed heavily. "Marco, don't listen to him. Your Dad was never himself after your Mother was killed. He never got the help he needed to help him get through the pain and trauma."

"He was never my Father after mom was killed. Dad died that day. He will never be the same." Marco looked at his Uncle. "What he's doing is not right, and deep down, you know it. He won't stop until the werewolf race is gone, but I feel there is something else he's after."

"Like what?"

The young man was silent for a bit. "I think everything he is doing is suicide. He doesn't want to live anymore. He wants to die. Dad wants to pick a strong adversary to take his life."

Arturo raised his eyebrows. "Marco, that's just crazy talk."

"You saw him, Uncle. You saw how slowly Dad deteriorated throughout the years. You've witnessed all that he has done and said. Even our fellow Hunters don't know who's leading them and if his decisions are justified."

"If what you say is true, what are you planning to do?"

Marco sighed. "I might have to stop him myself, but I can't do it alone."

Arturo let out a small gasp. "Marco, you're not thinking about-."

"I hate to do this, but I might need that dog's help."