Trigger

Isaiah, Darren, Marco, and many pack members followed Arturo; they all sprinted. Even though hunters looked human, they had abilities as a werewolf, such as speed. It was said that the first hunters were descended from werewolves, but they mated much with humans. 

Meanwhile, Arturo was about to text all the hunters to help find Tristan, but Marco stopped him. His father possibly had the hunters under his command, which could be a trap. He feared a bloodbath between Isaiah's pack and the hunters; he also feared for Alyara. 

So many thoughts trailed into the minds of Isaiah and Rafael. Never in their life have they felt such fear. Even though they hated and wanted to kill Marco with an all-consuming passion, they needed him and his uncle to lead them to Alyara and Emilia. He knew Darren was afraid for his mate; she was also pregnant, fueling the fire. 

"Why would my dad do this, uncle!?"

Arturo was silent for a moment. "He's at his lowest point. Something he always was." He stopped, as did everyone else, to the annoyance of Isaiah, Darren, and their pack. Arturo looked at Marco. "Ever since your mother was killed, your father was never the same. I thought he would try to move on, but he wanted vengeance. Or so I thought."

"I don't care what that man wants! Our mates are in danger because of that madman!" growled Darren.

"Please be assured, Tristan will not kill your mates. He took them on purpose for all of you to arrive."

"But why would he do that, uncle!? Alyara and her friend are innocent. They haven't broken any laws."

The older man shook his head. "This is a suicide. He wants to die." Everyone was silent.

Rafael growled as he took control of Isaiah. "If he wants to die, I will give him what he wants! I don't care about your family issues. He has my mate. If he hurts her in any way, I will give him a painful death! Now hurry up and lead the way!"

Marco glared at Rafael. "I know what my dad did was wrong, but I don't want him killed either! We will get Alyara and her friend alive. Please let me talk to him when we find him."

Rafael growled. "Rafael, let me take over. I know I haven't let you control me in a while, but we know you have more of a protective streak than I do. Your anger will get the best of you!"

"No, you had your chance, Isaiah. Our mate is in danger! I have more determination to rescue her!"

Isaiah sighed. "Rafael, I will let you take control when the time comes. I don't want Alyara to see you in your worst moment."

Rafael was stunned. He didn't think about if Alyara would see him at his worst. He would do anything and everything to protect her, but their mate could look at him differently. He hated to admit it, but Isaiah had a point. "Fine, but if the situation escalates..."

"I know, Rafael. You have my word." Isaiah got control of his body. "Fine, we will let you talk with your father, but if he tries to hurt Alyara or Emilia, then you know what we will do."

Marco merely nodded.

Everyone began to run again. Arturo could feel certain auras from afar and knew them. He motioned everyone to stop. "I feel auras. We are close, but something is off. This could be a trap, so I will go in alone first."

"Uncle, that's crazy. You-"

"Your dad won't kill me. I need to speak to him first."

Marco stepped forward. "I will go with you too. As I said before, I need to talk to him. He and I needed this talk years ago. Now it's the time." He looked at the pack. "Stay here. I need to handle this."

Everyone watched as uncle and nephew walked ahead. As the duo approached, a safe house was seen almost camouflaged to the trees and ground. "Dad, come out! I know you and the other hunters are here!" yelled Marco. It was silent. "Dad! I know you have Alyara and her friend! Come out, or I will get you myself!"

Suddenly, the door opened. Tristan and the other four hunters came out with Alyara only; her hands and feet were bound, and her mouth was gagged with a cloth. Alyara tried to scream but was suppressed. "Alyara!"

Tristan then took out a gun and pointed it at Alyara's head. "Why are you here, Marco? Arturo, why did you bring him here?"

"He came to me. After discovering what you have done, I couldn't let you continue that stupidity."

"I know you two aren't alone. I can sense those dogs."

"Dad, you have gone far enough! I know Mom's death traumatized you! You don't think I'm still hurting about what happened to her!? To us!? You may have lost a wife, but I also lost a mother! Her death ripped us apart! I needed you the most, Dad! But now, you need me, Dad!"

"Go home, Marco." Tristan noticed Isaiah and Darren coming closer, as were the pack. His eyes looked dead to the world. 

"Dad, please, I don't want to lose you too! I lost mom. I want you to be in my life! I want us to relive those memories we had with Mom! Do you think she would have wanted this!? It would have destroyed her!"

Isaiah and Darren breathed heavily as they witnessed their mates being taken hostage. "Isaiah, our mate is in danger! Let me take over, please!" Rafael sounded desperate; Isaiah couldn't blame him. 

"Rafael, please be patient. We have no other option but to trust these hunters! When the time comes, I will let you take over. Trust me."

Arturo walked forward. "This is not you, Tristan. I know Mia wouldn't have wanted you to do this. Are you also willing to stake the lives of our hunters? A bloodbath can be avoided, and you can get the help you need." He motioned his hand toward Marco. "Your son needs you more than ever.

Tristan looked at his son. His son looked at him pleadingly. Memories of his family came to mind: his wedding to Mia, the birth of Marco, and their happiness. He felt his eyes watering, but he put his finger on the trigger. "Sorry, son, but you don't need a man like me as a Father."

He pulled the trigger.