Within the City

It was morning, and Isaiah was in his office looking at paperwork about his company's profits. Everything was going smoothly, and Rafael wasn't bugging him. His day was beginning to a good start. A sigh escaped his lips, and he looked out the window from his office. Downtown Los Angeles looked majestic from his view. Many buildings stood proudly, and people walked to work or for other purposes.

Then, he heard a knock on the door. "Enter."

The door opened, and a man entered. The man was six feet tall with dark olive skin. The man was very good-looking and had slightly broad facial and body features. The man wore a dark blue suit, dress pants, and a white buttoned shirt that clung to his muscular body. His eyes were light brown with a slight glow; his face was clean-shaven, and he had curly dark brown hair. He looked to be thirty years of age. "Ah, Darren. I see you came back from the other meeting with the other CEOs."

Darren smiled. "Of course, they decided to sell their companies to us. The lack of good leadership was their downfall. Many of these CEOs think they are the best. You should have seen the looks on their faces."

"Well done, Darren. I expect nothing less from my Beta, after all."

Darren chuckled. "Nice to hear it, Alpha. Want to grab a bite to eat? There's something I wanted to tell you."

Isaiah noticed the smile on his Beta's face. "Sure, why not."

..................................................................

Isaiah POV

Darren and I left the corporate office and walked in the busy streets of Downtown Los Angeles. The city is enormous, but the stench is unbearable. Darren and I saw endless rows of tents with homeless people. It was a saddening sight to see. This is one of the many shames of this city and its leaders.

In our society, we never let one of our own live on the street. We did have rogues, though. However, rogues made themselves outcasts since many didn't want to abide by pack laws. Many also thrive on the urge to hunt and kill. Rogues have been known to attack other packs or even humans. Alphas, like myself, tend to be on guard and try to stop these rogues in their tracks. 

Darren and I decided to get Subway for lunch. Darren and I made our orders, brought our sandwiches, and decided to eat outside. We spoke a lot about the meetings and whatnot, but nothing new. 

Then, the topic changed.

"So, you said that you had something to tell me. I doubt it has something to do with work. 

Darren smiled as he nodded. "Isaiah, I have great news; Emilia and I are becoming parents!"

I stopped halfway with my food. "Whoa. I can't believe that you're going to be a dad."

Darren nodded and smiled with happiness. "Yup, I can't believe it myself, but I am happy beyond belief! We decided to wait since we wanted Emilia to finish her university, and now that she is done, we can finally start our family!"

I gave out a small smile. "I am happy for you. I congratulate you and Emilia." Deep down, I was jealous. I'm jealous that Darren has everything I ever wanted: a mate and a family. It was unfair, but I shouldn't be jealous of my Beta for having the luck of having things I didn't. I felt my wolf, Rafael, moan in sadness. "It's your fault, Isaiah! We could've had what Darren has! But no, you wanted your fun!"

I ignored him as I listened to Darren and his plans to prepare for his baby's birth. We eventually finished our lunch and decided to head back to work. We stopped at a crosswalk, both waiting for the light to turn. As we were waiting, I smelled something.

Something sweet and addicting.

It smelled like lavender and cinnamon, but it was strange. Why would I smell that in this city?

"Follow it!" Rafael felt restless, as did I.

"Darren, do you smell something sweet!?"

He looked at me while taking a sniff. "No, just the carbon from this city."

"I smell something sweet, lavender and cinnamon!"

Darren's eyes became wide. "C-Can it be that it is the scent of your mate!?"

I stilled. 

Was that the reason!?

 My heart was beating in excitement and happiness. This could be it! My mate! The street light turned, and I ran through the crosswalk. Darren tried to catch up. 

People were getting in his way, but I kept going forward and followed the scent. I knew I was getting closer since the smell was getting stronger, and I felt anticipation. My wolf was happy. 

Could this be it!?

Then, I got to a small but beautiful building that had sculptures and ponds outside. The scent was getting stronger.

Then, I stopped.

Rafael and I said something that we had wanted to say for a long time.

"Mate!"