Meet Up

It was the day when Alyara's parents would meet Isaiah; the couple were nervous. Alyara couldn't help but worry that something wrong might happen. Isaiah was with her throughout the time and assured her everything would be fine; even Rafael tried to comfort his mate. Isaiah wanted to have dinner at his home, but Alyara thought it was best to have dinner in her home so she would feel more at ease. She called her parents about the change, and they agreed.

Alyara wore a handmade dress that her mother made her. It was light green with some diamond patterns and dark turquoise colors. She wore handmade long earrings and bracelets and a silver necklace. Her hair was braided. Isaiah wore a buttoned-down white shirt with a black undershirt underneath, black dressy pants, and shoes; his hair was slicked back and clean-shaven. They both were ready. Isaiah felt Alyara's nervousness; he held her hand. "My love, everything will be okay."

It was 6 pm, and there was a knock on the door, and Alyara went to open it; her parents had arrived. "Shimá! Shizhé'é! You're here." She went to hug her parents; they hugged her back. 

"Alyara, you look beautiful. This is a simple dinner; you didn't have to overdress for us."

"Yeah, it's because you made it. Come in."

The two elders entered. They saw Isaiah standing by the kitchen; Ayita smiled. "Well, Ya'at'eeh (Hello), Isaiah. It's nice to see you again, handsome devil."

"Wow, Alyara's mom is quite blunt. I knew she would like us for our mate. Her Dad would give us more of a hassle," said Rafael. 

"I agree, but we need to be careful. Remember, he's a shaman and could sense our spirits." 

Rafael rolled his eyes. "Well, even if he finds out who we are, there's no way in hell I'm giving up our mate. We waited too damn long. If he has a problem, I could bite him in the-"

"Shut it!" Isaiah returned to reality as Ayita hugged him; he hugged back. She reminded him of his mother, who passed away years ago. Mojag stepped forward and merely motioned out his hand. The two men shook hands; Mojag's eyes never left him. 

"Well, Isaiah and I made dinner, and I bet you two are starving." Everyone went and sat as the plates of food and drinks were on the table. 

"Ah, you made our favorites, Alyara. You didn't have to!" Ayita said while pretending to cry.

Alyara groaned in embarrassment. "Mom, there's no need to act that way. Besides, we don't see each other daily, and I miss you both."

Everyone began to eat. Isaiah helped Alyara make the food, even though he didn't know the recipes. It excited him to try some food from Alyara's culture. They made wild rice, squash, and other vegetables. However, the one he was curious about was the fry bread, which is another version of a taco. Everyone put toppings on the fried bread and ate it. When taking a bite, Isaiah felt as if he was in heaven. Never had he eaten something so delicious. "Isaiah, you have never eaten this kind of food, have you?" asked Ayita.

"No, ma'am. This is my first time and the most delicious I have ever tasted. I can't believe there aren't many places that sell this kind of food. If you made a restaurant, I imagine this would be popular."

"Food is our very culture, Isaiah. Our people have a difficult history; we are fortunate to have our language and parts of the culture we have left, but food is very sacred to us. We don't want it taken from us or changed just for recognition and profit," explained Ayita.

Isaiah nodded. "I understand your sentiment. Either way, I'm grateful to try something of your culture and meet your daughter." He looked at his elder. "I wouldn't know what I would have been without her."

"Oh, this is so romantic! It's like the many hallmark movies I've seen."

Isaiah chuckled as Alyara blushed. Mojag was silent; he finished his food as he stared at Isaiah. "Young man, may I speak to you outside?"

"Of course, sir." Isaiah looked at Alyara reassuringly as the two men left the apartment. Mojag closed the door; the two men were alone.

"Sir, I hope you're enjoying dinner. You were quiet throughout the evening."

"I think we should stop playing games, young man. I know you are not who you say you are."

"Uh oh, is he catching up to us? Let me take over. I can be quite persuasive. I could push him over the railing and-" Rafael was interrupted as Isaiah ordered him to be silent.

"Sir, I assure you that you have nothing to be concerned about. Please believe me when I tell you that I love your daughter with all my heart and soul."

Suddenly, Mojag reached for something in his pocket. When Isaiah saw it, his eyes became wide with horror. It was a coin, but not just any coin. It was a coin made of actual silver. "I knew it; you are a werewolf."