Familiarity

Aurora's POV
I moved in with Alayah. She has a very nice townhome. I've worked as many hours as possible before I had to start attending classes and my time will be more limited.

I often borrowed Alayah's computer to watch videos on appliances, repairing them, and such so I'm more knowledgeable. At the store, I'm currently working as a cashier, and I help inventory. I hope to widen my horizons on what I'm capable of there.

I didn't quite know my size, since the school I am attending has a uniform, which of course there happened to be measuring tools at the shop, so Alayah helped measure me so I best knew what to order.

When the uniform arrived in the mail, I immediately tried it on, and I stood twirling around her tall stand-up mirror. I grab the sides of the skirt and pull it side to side. "Looks good. Seems a bit longer than it's supposed to be, but it fits well." I turn around to face Alayah, who's observing the outfit, on the lookout for flaws.

"Looks good to me." She suggests after closely examining the uniform.

"When's your first day?" She asks, resuming what she was doing before she came over to help me.

"Tomorrow, and do you mind if I borrow your backpack?"

"Go right ahead, I have plenty. I used to buy a new one every year. Hated having the same back pack two years in a row. They should be in the closet in the guest room."

"Oh I just meant your work bag...I don't need anything fancy-"

"Don't worry about it. Plus I need my work bag for work. Go pick out whichever one you like." She continues to fold clothes without looking up at me.

I make my way to the closet, and pull open the sliding door. In the corner there are about five backpacks hanging on metal hooks in a row.

One was sky blue and had a unicorn on it that was barfing rainbows. It was also rather small. That one is probably old. Next there was a cloudy grey bag with arrow shaped patterns on it. Then there was a white bag with hot pink flamingos and green palm trees on it. The fourth was an olive green corduroy bag with no design, but it had brown leather straps. Finally, the last bag was a pale yellow sports bag with shiny gray detailing and big mesh pockets for water bottles.

I go back and forth between the green bag and the sports bag. I eventually carry the two downstairs to get Alayah's opinion and she makes me hold them up to the uniform and settles on the olive green bookbag.

The next day I get on the bus, and sit alone in the front.

When I get to school, I'm handed my schedule by the office reception, and I head to my first class of the day. Spanish class.

"¡Hola! Hoy tenemos un nuevo estudiante."

Authors Note: Please don't bash my Spanish, I took it for two years but I remember almost none.

I stare confusingly at the teacher as I stand in the doorway.

"Sorry, uh, class this is our new student, her name is Aurora Benson. Aurora, why don't you take a seat next to Ezra over there. Ezra raise your hand please."

Ezra raised his hand.

I carefully scoot my way past the other desks, and hang my backpack over the beige chair. I sit down, and tuck my hair behind my ear. I quickly glance over to Ezra, who's facing forward, but smirking.

I quietly clear my throat, and try to unzip my backpack as silently as I can, but it makes a loud noise as it clatters to the floor. My face flushes. I pull out my book, and without zipping it back up or hanging it, I nudge my bag underneath the desk with my foot.