017

"Dear Billy,

I don't know if you can even hear this. Two years ago, I would have said 'That's ridiculous, impossible. But that was before I found out about alternation dimensions and monsters, so... I'm just going to stop assuming that I know anything.

So much has happened since you left.  Your dad was a total mess. He and my mom started getting into fights. Bad fights. I don't think he could stand being here without you. So he left.  And he didn't leave Mom much. She's taken an extra job, and we moved to that lovely trailer park off Kerley.

Sam went to Europe, left us for 6 months, and it was hard. She acts tough, but I don't think she's recovered from it either. Basically, ever since you left, everything's been a total disaster. And the worst part is, I can't tell anyone why you're gone. I can't tell them that you saved El's life. That you saved my life. I play that moment back in my head all the time. And sometimes I imagine myself running to you, pulling you away. I imagine that if I had, that you would still be here. And everything would be right again.

I imagine that we could've become friends. Good friends, like a real brother and sister. I know we all could've done it, I know a part of you wanted to be close with Sam and I. And I know that's stupid. You hated us. We hated you. But I thought that maybe we could try again. But that's not what happened.

I just stood there and I watched. For a while, I tried to be happy. Normal. But I think that maybe a part of me died that day too. And I haven't told anyone this. I just can't. But I had to tell you. Before it's too late. If you can even hear this. I really hope that you can.

I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry, Billy.

Love, your shitty little sister,

Max"

I've tried to cope with Billy being gone, but it's hard to have someone in your life every day, then all of a sudden gone. Hearing Max's words have only made this harder, because as shitty as he was, he had his moments.

Hearing her cry while talking about him is heartbreaking. I wish there was more I could do to help her cope with her guilt, she shouldn't have to feel like this.

It was hard to keep up, one minute he was an asshole brother, and the other minute he was the big brother I've always wanted.It's crazy to think about how much has changed since we first came here. I still remember those first couple of weeks when we moved rom California to Hawkins.

1984

"Thirty-eight, thirty-nine, forty, forty-one, forty-two!" They continue to chant as Billy does a handstand on the keg, causing everyone to yell as he comes back down. "Forty-two! We got ourselves a new Keg King!"

"That's how you do it, Hawkins!" Billy yells as they begin to chant his name. I shake my head at him, rolling my eyes and walking back inside. I spot Nancy and Steve, and I walk over to them.

"Enjoying the party?" Steve asks, and I scoff, turning my head towards Billy. "If babysitting my idiotic stepbrother is considered enjoying the party, then yes." I joke, and he laughs as the same boy from outside comes over to us with Billy.

"We've got ourselves a new Keg King, Harrington." He says, causing people to start agreeing with him. "Yeah, that's right."

"Yeah, eat it, Harrington." Another boy comes up to say, and Nancy walks away, looking upset. "Nancy?" I say after her, but she doesn't reply. I start to follow her,  but I feel a hand on my arm.