057

The graduation went smoother than I thought, so now I'm sitting here wondering If I'm going to go to this party or not. I really really don't want to go, and I don't want to ditch Robin and Steve, but I don't feel like going. I have to go to the trial tomorrow, and I also have to go to work tomorrow, so I just don't think a party is in the books right now.

It's still pretty early, so the first thing I did when I got home was change and come to the hospital. I come here every single day, they already know my name and what room I'm going to, so they don't even ask anymore, they just let me in.

I walk into Max's room, fixing the decorations on her dresser and looking at her. Her hair is growing so crazy, and I really want to fix it, but I don't want to disturb her. I reach up, pushing her hair back and sitting on the chair next to her.

Since I work at a bookstore now, I've found a new book to bring when I come to see her. The hospital is weirdly pretty far outside the city, and right next to my job, so the best part is that I don't have to see anyone when I come to visit her. "Hi Max, I'm back again, and this time I brought a book that a random customer brought me." I start, pulling the book out of my bag and setting it on her bed.

"Speaking of, I know you would've loved coming to my job and looking at the magazines with the celebrities. I bring Will all of the time and force him to find a book to read. A part of me knows that he enjoys it even though he pretends to not be interested every time I ask him if he wants to go." I continue, filling her in on everything that's been happening since I came yesterday, or things that I've forgotten to tell her.

"I miss you everyday, and I can't wait until you wake up and start to annoy me again. I never thought it would be this hard without you. In other news, I have another session with Mrs. Kelley today, and I think I'm getting better. It was hell at first, but now I am starting to be excited for everyday." I explain, and I pick up the book off of the bed.

"Today, I brought a book titled Carrie. Someone told me that they think I would belong in this book. Whatever that means. Anyway, Lucas should be here any second, and we're going to read, per usual." I finish, and right on time, Lucas walks through the door, smiling at me and pulling up a chair across from me, on the other side of the bed.

"News item from the Westover (Me.) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966:

RAIN OF STONES REPORTED

It was reliably reported by several persons that a rain of stones fell from a clear blue sky on Carlin Street in the town of Chamberlain on August 17th. The stones fell principally on the home of Mrs. Margaret White, damaging the roof extensively and ruining two gutters and a downspout valued at approximately $25. Mrs. White, a widow, lives with her three-year-old daughter, Carietta.

Mrs. White could not be reached for comment.

Nobody was really surprised when it happened, not really, not at the subconscious level where savage things grow. On the surface, all the girls in the shower room were shocked, thrilled, ashamed, or simply glad that the White bitch had taken it in the mouth again. Some of them might also have claimed surprise, but of course their claim was untrue. Carrie had been going to school with some of them since the first grade, and this had been building since that time, building slowly and immutably, in accordance with all the laws that govern human nature, building with all the steadiness of a chain reaction approaching critical mass.

What none of them knew, of course, was that Carrie White was telekinetic." I begin to read, and Lucas listens, waiting for when I would give him the book so that he could read next. We take turns, reading pages, and I hear a knock on the door, the nurse looking at me.