thirty.

Tessa's POV

"TESSA!" I HEARD LAYLA SCREAM as she catapulted herself through the smoke, landing in front of me, Edna, and Ase. She was heaving in anger and pointed a black staff swirling with energy at us.

She looked the same as she did when I saw her in the mirror. Her hair was disheveled, her eyes were swollen but no longer surrounded by bruises, and she wore the said Infinity Gauntlet on her wrist.

"Get away from her now," Layla hissed to Edna.

I took a quick glance at my mother to see that she looked pissed.

"After six hundred years," she started slowly, raising up a shaking finger to point at her, "-you dare show your face in my realm?!"

Ase stepped forward and placed a hand on my shoulder, lightly pulling me back. I obliged, watching my mothers intently.

"You dare return after kidnapping my daughter and almost sacrificing her to Thanos?!"

Layla flinched but never broke eye contact. "But I didn't."

"See, Azeli," Edna turned to me eagerly, clapping her hands together, "I told you."

I felt my heart drop to my stomach. So it's true. Layla didn't kidnap me because she thought I deserved better, she kidnapped me because it was her job.

Edna was right... Ase was right...

"Tessa," Layla whimpered, finally looking at me, "I was never going to give you to Thanos. I had to trick him into helping me escape from here." She explained.

When she saw that Ase was pulling me away, she exploded. "I have been searching for you for months now! I almost died for you!"

"The way you died three years ago?" I asked.

Layla gritted her teeth. "That wasn't my decision. I had to leave so that Thanos wouldn't find you."

Edna let out a loud laugh. "Quit lying to the girl, Nyota."

"I'm not," she said firmly. "Thanos planned to find her once she stepped into power. I wasn't going to risk waiting until the last moment, so I-"

"So you faked your death," I finished for her.

"Yes," she sighed. "But Thanos won't be coming after you until he gets this," she held up the gauntlet, "-back."

"Speaking of," Edna interrupted her. "I will be taking both my staff and that gauntlet back."

It was Layla's turn to laugh. "Come and get it, then, my Queen."

"My pleasure," Edna smirked.

"Stop," I said, shaking my head and Ase's hand off my shoulder. "Tell me what Thanos is planning."

Layla swayed nervously. "I... can't."

"Why are you even here?" Edna questioned her loudly, changing the subject.

"I'm here to get my daughter back, and destroy you," Layla said firmly, pointing the staff at Edna again.

"What makes you think that?" I asked. "I'm not a little girl anymore. I'm not a piece of property to fight over."

"Tessa, I risked my life to keep you safe. Thanos almost killed me, but it was worth it knowing that I've bought you some time-"

"And then what?" I interrupted her. "What happens after he finds you, kills you, and takes the gauntlet back?"

"He won't."

"That's right," Edna said, "because I'm going to save you the trouble of running again and kill you myself."