Chapter 18

Chapter 18: Ah Ye

    Lin Xi doesn't need a companion.

    He frowned and his eyes stayed on the other person's tag.

    The tag was stuffed into her clothes but from the shape outlined, it was vaguely the shape of a bone eaten by a dog.

    She doesn't seem to want anyone to recognized her tag and also looks more like a skinny tomboy.

    The tomboy still held on to it, the little freckles on the tip of her nose seemed to be threatened, as if Lin Xi didn't agree, she wouldn't let go either.

    In the end, Lin Xi didn't answer or refuse.

    The woman's eyes lit up, she randomly packed the quilt, stuffed it under the tree to hide it, and picked up her iron bucket.

    The iron bucket was thicker than her waistline and almost took up most of her body.

    However, she was not too cumbersome at all. She carried it with a smile and followed Lin Xi every step of the way.

    The two went out of the city gate together and came to the foot of the city wall.

    The sand was already full of people at this time. After the fight last night, the ground was covered with the stumps of giant toads. The mutants had already occupied their respective territories and began to cut and separate the fats on the alien's bodies.

    In this era, oil resources are scarce and the fats on the alien species will become one of the fuels to replace oil. Mutants extract energy from fat bodies for body fuel, power generation, and maintain the technological civilization left over from the Holocene.

    In this city, fat is also the raw material for the transactions between mutants. People dig up the limbs of the mutants killed by the "giant claw" and exchange them for basic necessities and shelter through earthen houses.

    As a result, the strong mutants occupied the most fat corpses. The mutants with teams also circled the territory and divided labor in an orderly manner to extract lipids.

    The remaining old, weak and sick mutants had no way to snatch it from the rest of the mutants, In the worst place, slowly scraping the barely visible fat under the skin.

    The wasteland is blowing with sand, the mutants are making a living in the desert at the corner of the city wall.

    Lin Xi and the woman also came to the stump of a giant toad.

    This stump is the leftover that has been eaten by the "giant claw" and the inside is almost rotten. It is the place that other mutants have picked.

    The young man with the windbag took a few glances, then took out the knife to cut the fat body.

    The woman did not dare to come forward.

    She saw the green archaea on the dregs and stood outside hesitating for a while.

    But without fat, she would have no food or water for today.

    "Let me get one for you." Lin Xi suddenly said and began to walk towards  the stump.

    The woman was anxious and quickly pushed up her iron bucket.

    "I don't want much, just give me half a catty." she said.

    Lin Xi looked back at the tomboy.

    The tomboy giggled nervously at him again.

    Lin Xi lowered his eyes. He raised his knife, took out a piece of white fat from the remnant and threw it into her bucket.