A Foster Family

(BTW. THE AGES I'LL BE GIVING THE CHARACTERS ARE AS LISTED.

Amane and Tsukasa: 9

Nene, Kou, Aoi, Mitsuba and Akane: 9 

Mei and 6: 14

Teru: 11

Tiara: 3 months 

Tsuchigomori: 30+

I KNOW THE AGE GAPS ARE DIFFERENT TO THE CANONICAL TBHK/JSHK STORY, BUT THIS IS MY STORY AND AS THE AUTHOR, I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT.) 

On an icy winter morning, the pair entered an unfamiliar edifice. Their hands trembling as they held each other's and looked around the entrance. 10 pairs of shoes all lined up neatly together, 9 of them belonging to mysterious characters the boys were yet to be introduced to. Their caretaker, Tsuchigomori Ryūjirou, had been with them since the train station a few minutes earlier. He guided the two down a hallway, covered in paintings and toys and then into a dining room, where 6 pairs of eyes stared them down.

"Good morning.." Tsukasa mumbled, holding onto the door and Amane's frosty hand.

"Ning.." Repeated Amane, hiding slightly behind Tsukasa.

"Woah! They're tiny!" A girl with brown locks and circular frames shouted, before being shushed by a taller boy with short scruffy hair and darker skin.

A pink haired kid slurped some milk before locking eyes with Tsukasa. Tsukasa smiled, but being Tsukasa, his smiled looking like a mischievous grin, even if it was truly pure. The other boy froze, letting his milk-moustache drip down his chin. Tsukasa pulled Amane towards the boy as they sat down and started chatting away. Mitsuba, although, was not too keen to talk to Tsukasa.

Amane, being excluded from their conversation, turned to the girl next to him. She was no shorter than him, with creamy-teal hair and rosy cheeks. The girl smiled and he Amane just stared at her blankly.

"Your eyes look like oranges!" She giggled, covering her mouth. Amane stifled a small laugh and nodded in agreement. "Yeah" he replied.

A loud but cute sneeze was audible after their interaction, and the dropping of cups too..

"Ao-chan!? Are you okay!? Don't tell me that Minamoto punk got you sick!?" yelled a boy who also had glasses, rushing over to the girl who sat next to the girl Amane was sitting with.

"Nope nope! The pepper just got in my nose! Thank's Akane-kun!" Said the girl Amane assumed was called Ao. She had bouncy purple hair in two oddly shaped buns. Amane thought they looked like donuts and was slightly intriuged.

Akane however, instantly noticed Amane's interest and shot him a glare.

"Jeez Akane, you're going to scare Tiara! Don't drop those cups, that's really dangerous kid!" Scolded the brown haired girl, picking up the youngest member of this household, Tiara. An adorable little baby with few golden curls.

"Sorry.. Mei.." Pouted Akane, who then turned his attention straight back to Aoi.

"And don't talk badly about Kou. He's really sick y'know." Blankly stated the scruffy guy, who obviously had just woken up.

"Now now, breakfast is being served. Don't talk with your mouth open Mitsuba, and wash your hands after you eat." Announced Tsuchigomori. He had just brought in the Yugi Twins' backs and was sitting at the table.

The meal had begun, and even though Amane didn't really talk too much throughout it, he was fine with inspecting the other members and learning about them. Tsukasa on the other hand had already befriended Mitsuba, as they promised to draw later, and that's when Mei perked up.

"You two better not draw with my crayons! Oh.. and by the way Amane, don't touch my stuff." declared Mei, looking at Tsukasa.

Amane looked around at her, and she looked back.

"But I'm.. Amane..?" Mumbled Amane, feeling a bit distressed.

"Oh, sorry! You two just look so alike. That reminds me! Let me tell you how things work around here." Said Mei, leaning over the table to get closer to Amane.

"First of all, ignore her. She's too loud." Said the scruffy guy everyone called "6", pointing at Mei.

Mei scowled at him and sat back in her seat.

"My shampoo is the one that smells like strawberries!" Nene shouted, putting her hand up and standing on her heels, pushing her chair backwards a bit.

"Mine smells like lavender!" Aoi said, doing the same as Nene. Such close friends.

"Sit back down girls." Tsuchigomori said, sipping his coffee while reading the newspaper.

The breakfast continued.