A Foster Family (Part 4)

A few days later in the dead of night, each and every room light was turned off. The only source of shine came from the TV light, the room where Auntie Yako was using. As she came down to meet Amane and Tsukasa, who were particularly shy earlier while meeting her. 

~~~

"Auntie?!" Tsukasa and Amane said in sync together. Although Amane's voice had a quiver in it.

"Yeah! She's super nice!" Aoi smiled.

"And she's really good at doing hair!" Nene agreed.

"And she can be super mean too.." Akane grunted, crossing his arms and looking away.

"Akane's just salty because she went totally berserk at him when he splashed her with water last summer." Mitsuba smirked. 

Mei and 6 giggled at that remark. 

"Well I guess she just likes us girls, right Mitsuba?" Mei leered.

Mitsuba frowned and turned away, he hated being called girly.

"She'll like you." 6 agreed as he talked to Amane and Tsukasa.

"Sounds like a witch.." Tsukasa imaged, covering his mouth with one hand as he tried not to guffaw.

"Does she like frogs?" Amane questioned genuinely although Nene and Aoi thought he was joking, and burst into roars of laughter. 

"That reminds me of the time Kou brought a bucket of toads home from that lake and one jumped in Tsuchi's coffee!" Akane pitched in.

The whole breakfast table fell into piles of laughter. Everyone was smiling and hitting the table, trying to cover up their grins. Even Tiara, a baby, was giggling and clapping her hands. It was such a warm sight, Amane thought. He was definitely going to get used to this. 

~~~

"That volleyball team sucks.. change the channel Tsuchigomori!" Yako yelled, cringing at the TV.

"The kids are sleeping.." Tsuchigomori shushed back, changing the channel to some rom-com J-Drama. 

Well, all kids but Kou were sleeping. He had woken up with a sharp stomach ache, even though his temperature had gone down. His pyjama top stuck to his back with sweat and he wheezed a bit. After slowly crawling out of the bed, he waddled over to the other side of the room to his brother's bed.

"Nii.." he mumbled, tugging on his brothers shirt. Teru slept peacefully like a solitary vessel, not waking up for a second. 

"Nii!" Kou asked again, raising his voice. Still no response.

Kou eventually just started shaking Teru's shoulders and coughing quietly. The movement was enough to wake him up.

"Huh?!" Teru asked, jolting upwards on his bed.

"sowwee.." Kou mumbled, ashamed a bit of his current state.

"Kou..?" Teru asked again, rubbing his eyelids to fully adjust and take in the darkness of the night.

Kou didn't say anything for a bit. As silence filled the room, Teru figured he had just awoken and the dream of Kou's voice was just ringing in his ears, so he rested his head on the pillow once more.

"No!" Kou shouted a bit too loudly in surprise, pulling Teru's bedsheets back and jumping onto the bed with him.

"Kou..? Why are you awake so late? Go back to bed.."  

"Can't sleep.." Kou admitted shamefully. He kicked his legs up in the air out of boredom for his joints didn't ache no more. 

Teru turned on his side to look at his playful brother and inquired with a smug look.

"Scared? "

"No.. I just.. feel sickish.. and I'm all sweaty! Yuck!"

"Keep your voice down and go back to sleep." Teru declared, pulling the bedsheets back up towards the both of them.. which could only mean..

"You'll let me sleep here?!" Kou asked as a smile crept through his lips.

"If you don't kick me in your sleep, yes.." Teru responded with an even softer smile. He ruffled Kou's hair and watched him drift back into his slumber.

"Goodnight, Kou.." he mellowly whispers as he too, soon fell asleep.