Suzie, Do You Copy?: S3E1

No pronouns this chapter

Written 7/24/22

•Y/n pov•
It's been a year since the dance, and I am now watching tv with my dad, trying to ignore my sister and her boyfriend sucking each other's souls out. I saw him lean back and try to see into my room. "Hey!", he shouted and I started laughing. "Hey! Three inch minimum! Leave the door open three inches!", my dad got up and stormed to the room. He tried to open the door and it was locked, "El, open this door. Open the-", Hopper budged in and I looked in to see the lovers separated and reading their own article/book. "What's wrong?", Mike asked and I snorted. I could tell that Hopper was death staring the couple and I turned back to the tv.

"My God, that was priceless! Did you see his face?", Mike and Eleven were talking and I was trying to ignore it. "It was like a tomato.", Eleven laughed. "Yeah, a fat tomato.", a bit doucey mike. "I wish I was still with you.", bleck. "I know. Me too. But I'll see you tomorrow, all right? First thing.", great. "Tomorrow.", Eleven repeated. At least I'll see Will.

We were hiding out at Dustin's house to surprise him.
Eleven started doing her thing and I was trying to look into Dustin's mind.
He was...
Upset
Scared
And didn't know what the fuck was going on.

Eleven was making them come into the hallway and Dustin grabbed something to defend himself with... hairspray...
I was trying so hard not to laugh and I didn't tell anyone he grabbed hairspray, a bit sociopathic but I wanted to see if someone would get sprayed.
"It's just a dream.", no it's not, "You're dreaming.", nope.

"Now.", mike whispers and they machines stopped . Dustin started to check them and we walked behind him with a 'Welcome Home Dustin.'. We blew our noise makers and Dustin screamed loudly and ended up spraying Lucas with the hairspray.

Max was washing the hairspray from Lucas's eyes and he made it clear it hurt, "Ow, ow, ow. Ow.". "Better?", Max asked. "Still stings... Is that a new zit?", Lucas pointed to Maxs head and I walked out. That's not something you should say to your girlfriend, plus I wanted to see what was going on with my other friends.

"I call it... the Forever Clock.", Dustin make his project spin. "All right? Powered by wind. Very useful in the apocalypse.", he gave it to Will. "How?", I asked but my question was ignored. "Then, I give you... the Slammer.", Dustin puts it near Eleven who backs away. Dustin laughs, "Pretty neat, huh? But this... this is my masterpiece.". Dustin places the 'masterpiece' on the ground and everyone squats to look at it. "I would like you to meet...", Dustin unzips the bag that was holding, "Cerebro.". "What exactly are we looking at here?", Mike asked. "An unassembled one of a kind battery powered radio tower.", Dustin explained. "So, it's a... a ham radio.", Will spoke. "The Cadillac of ham radios. This baby carries a crystal clear connection over vast distances. I'm talking North Pole to South. I can talk to my girlfriend whenever and wherever I choose.", everyone looked at another when Dustin said 'girlfriend'. "Girlfriend?", everyone asked in sync. Dustin smiled and nodded. "Wait, so her name is Suzie?", Mike asked. "Suzie with a 'z.'. She's from Utah.", I always thought Suzie was spelled with a Z. Guess I'm wrong. "Girls go to science camp?", Will asked and I elbowed him, "Watch it.". "Suzie does. She's a genius.", I could tell Dustin was smiling. "Is she cute?", Why does that matter? "Think Phoebe Ctaes, only hotter.", Dustin was over the moon.  "What's going on?", Max asked as Lucas was continuing to wash his eyes out. "Going to talk to Dustin's girlfriend.", Will was the last to walk out of the door. "Girlfriend?", Lucas and Max said at the same time.

Now, we were walking up a hill for Dustin, while it's burning out. But I gotta know, does Dusty actually have a girlfriend?
"Aren't we high enough?", Lucas asked, panting. "Cerebro works best at a hundred meters.", Dustin explained. "You know, I'm pretty sure people in Utah have telephones.", Max said and I nodded. "Yeah, but Susie's Mormon.", Dustin was walking faster than I could even imagine myself doing. "Oh, shit. She doesn't have electricity?", No, they do, Lucas... I think. "Oh, that's the Amish.", Max said and I laughed. "What are Mormons?", Will asked. "Super religious white people.", Dustin yelled, "They have electronics and cars and stuff, but... since I'm not Mormon, her parents would never approve. It's all a bit. Shakespearean.". "Shakespearean?", Max asked. "I guess so.", I muttered. "Yeah. Like Romeo and Juliet.", Sure, Dusty. "Right.", Max said. "Star crossed lovers.", Dustin turned around. "I got it.", Max said and I laughed. "Hey, guys!", Mike yelled and we all turned around, "This is fun and all, but, uh...". "I have to go home.", Eleven said. "That's some bull.", I scoffed. "We're almost there.", Dustin motioned to the top of the hill. "Sorry, man. Curfew.", Mike said and I just started walking again. "Come on, let's go.", Mike was basically dragging Eleven. "Good luck.", my sister called four before turning. "Good luck not getting herpes!", I yelled. "Curfew at 4:00?", Dustin asked. "They're lying.", Lucas said. I can confirm. I thought 'friends don't lie'. "It's been like this all summer.", Will shook his head. "It's romantic.", Max shrugged. "It's gross.", Will said. "Watch it.", I turned to him. "It's bullshit.", Dustin said and I nodded. "I just got home. Well their loss, right? Onwards and upwards! Suzie awaits!", Dustin turned and started walking again. Lucas and Max sigh and then continue to walk. I look back and see Will standing there. He reaches his hand to the back of his neck. "Hey, are you ok?", I walk over to him. "Yea.", he nods and I raise my eyebrow, "You sure?""Well, I-", Will starts to say but Dustin yells, "Will, come on.". I reach for my boyfriends hand, "Cmon.". I start walking and he follows.

"Made it.", Dustin gets on his knees. "Yeah, only took five hours.", Max said. "Why couldn't we just play D&D?", Will asked. "I'm so thirsty.", Lucas took out the water and started drinking. Max stared at him and I laughed. "Did you seriously drink the rest of our water?", Max asked and Lucas spit some water back into the bottle, smiled, and handed it to Max. I gagged, nasty.

We all started to put Cerebro together and it was getting dark. "If I get bit by anything I'm gonna blame you, Dusty.", I sigh.
After the assembly, we stood Cerebro up. "Pretty impressive, right?", Dustin asked. "Yeah.", Max looked up at Cerebro. "Now, you ready to meet my love?", Dustin asked and I rubbed my hands together, "Okay, sure."
"Yeah."
Genius Phoebe Cates, here we come.

Dustin switched the radio on and started speaking into it. "Suzie, this is Dustin. Do you copy? Over.", the radio hissed. "One sec. She's probably... she's still there. Suzie... this is Dustin. Do you copy? Over.". Everyone was starting to get annoyed. "I'm sure she's there. It's just-", "Yeah.", "You know, maybe she's, like, busy or-", "Yeah.", "It's around dinner time.", "Mmm.", "Yep.", "Here. Suzie, do you copy? This is Dustin. Over.", the radio just hissed. "Suzie, do you copy? This is Dustin. Over.". I want to believe Dustin, I really do, and I understand it's dinnertime, but the longer I stay up, the more irritable I become. 1 more hour and I'll be drop kicking someone if they even look my direction.

"Suzie! This is Dustin. Do you copy? Over.", Dustin asked. Everyone was laying on the floor all lined up, and I was basically drifting off. "Suzie, this is your Dustin.", 'Your Dustin'? That's adorable, "Do you copy? Over. Suzie-". "Dustin, come on! She's not there.", Max yelled. "She's there, all right? She'll pick up.", Dustin yelled back. "Maybe Cerebro doesn't work.", Will say up. "Or maybe Suzie doesn't exist.", Lucas spoke. "She exists!", Dustin defended. "She's a genius and she's hotter than Phoebe Cates? No girl is that perfect.", Max and I sat up at that, "The fuck did you just say?", "Is that so?". "I mean... you're perfect. I-I mean, like, per-perfect I'm your own way. In your special- your own special way.", Lucas stammered. I laughed. "Relax, I was teasing.", Max chuckled, "Im obviously perfect and Dustin's obviously lying.". Dustin looked hurt. "Come on, Don Juan.", Max and Lucas got up. "Where are you going?", Dustin asked. "Home.". Max answered. "Well... guess it's just you and me, Byers, plus Creel.", Will got up and I followed. "Um... it's late. Sorry. Maybe tomorrow we can play D&D. Or something fun. Like we used to?", the boys probably should *cough* Mike *cough. Dustin paused, "Yeah, sure.". "Welcome home.", Will said before grabbing my hand so I can bring him home. "Ready?", I asked and he nodded. I closed my eyes and opened them to see us in Wills room. "Have a good night.", I smiled and kissed his cheek. "You all should have a day to yourselves, without the girls. Especially Mike, if you know what I'm saying.", I winked and Will laughed, "Yeah. Well... have a good night.". I waved before teleporting myself back home. I laid onto the bed (which Hopper recently got me) and grabbed my stuffed animal (whatever animal you want to imagine, I'll call it s/a/n) and pulled it close. Before I left, I grabbed it from one of the gifts Laura got my mom when she found out she found out her sister was pregnant. I missed Len and Laur. I wish I was able to spend more time with them. I wish I could've met my mother. I wish I knew who my father was.

I wish I lived a normal life.

Words: 1168