✩ 7. Slow Dancing in the Kitchen ꘩

sfw

༺♡༻

After everyone had gotten their fill and I had basically gained three pounds in one meal, I had offered to help wash the dishes, as it was the least I could do for being allowed to stay overnight. I explained this to mama and her face brightened, glancing at Bubba and raising her eyebrows. I could tell she was looking at him because he was right behind me, wrapping his big arms around my waist and snuggling his face into my hair. I could feel him look down at her for a second, taking in a short breath and letting out a hum of delight.
"Oh would you please? That would be just wonderful, darlin. Ain't you jus the sweetest lil thang, oh don't you think so Bubba? Jus a sweet lil thang," Mama gushed, earning a rapid head nod from Bubba and a grunt, leading to a sigh of contentment as he squeezed a bit tighter.
I (well really Bubba and I) followed mama into the kitchen, her going on and on about what a sweet, good girl I was, to Bubba or me I wasn't quite sure. She explained to me where everything went, and went off to collect the boys' plates, silverware and glasses from the table.
I began to clean my own plate, waiting for the rest of them. Bubba just stood there, humming softly along with me. I guess he knew the tune to Cheek to Cheek, because he swayed a bit with me, giggling to himself. I chuckled as well, trying hard to focus on the dishes-but how could I when this sweet man was clinging onto me like a lovesick puppy, clearly wanting to interrupt my work and dance with me.
His head suddenly shot up and he unglued himself to my back, undoing his arms from my waist. I looked back at him, a bit upset at the loss of warmth and comfort he always seemed to bring me. I guess he noticed this, because he made a motion with his hands that told me to wait a moment. He babbled on about something, pointing with his thumb back at a room.
I nodded and told him to hurry back, lovebug. He squealed and jumped a little as he scurried on to some other point of the house. I guess he really liked that nickname, due to that kind of reaction. I smiled at him and turned back to the sink, scrubbing away and continuing to hum that sweet song, maybe I can sing it for him tonight while I played with his hair. Gosh, I bet he'd just adore that.
As I was envisioning the sweet moment in my mind, mama came back to the kitchen with the plates, and told me she'd be back with the rest of them. I thanked her and went back to cleaning, hearing that wonderful pitter-patter of rapid heavy footsteps. I, of course, knew exactly who they belonged to. I turned back with a smile, eyeing something Bubba held close to his chest. His grin widened when he saw me, and he held out his treasure to let me take a good look at it.
I realized it was a CD player, and he held up what looked to be a customized CD that either he or someone else made for him. It had the words 'BUBBA'S LOVE MIX' written in big bubble letters on it. It was written in red and pink permanent markers, with hearts littered all over the CD and the custom cover made to go with it. I giggled at the title, "Well what's all this, Bubs? You wanted to play some music for me?"
He nodded and set up the machine close to the sink where we both could hear it the best. "Well, aren't you sweet! Did you make this yourself, or did someone make it for you?" I asked, putting the plate in its proper place after drying it off. He shook his head and held up a peace sign, then pointing to his head and hitting it with his fist lightly. I was confused at first, but then realized it was Chop Top he was talking about. I told him that it was really sweet of them, and asked if he was ready to pop it in and show me.
He nodded rapidly and bounced a bit, excitedly turning to fuss with the machine. I giggled at his cute behavior and watched as he pushed the CD in the slot and waddled over to me, grabbing my hands and leading me away from the sink, beginning to sway with me and dance slowly. I gasped and told him to wait a second, turning to try and reach for a towel to dry my still damp and sudsy hands.
He let out a playful snort of frustration. He then took both my hands and put them on his chest. He rubbed them on his shirt himself, smiling and revealing a blush that was forming on his already glowing face. I playfully squeezed one of his moobs (y'all that's what I call man boobs excuse that 💀✌🏼) and giggled at his shocked expression. His face got even redder and, in retaliation, he spun me in the air a few times, setting me down on my feet.
I let out a hearty laugh and moved with him over to the machine, pressing play and turning back to face Bubs, who now had nothing but love written all over his face. He was making his first move the best he could, and he hoped you would see his true intentions and return his feelings.
"wise men say, 'only fools rush in'.." the machine sang, robotically mimicking Elvis Presley.
"But I can't help..." I sang with my heart surely telling exactly how I had realized I'd felt all along.
I looked up at him. Our eyes were glued to each other's.
"..falling in love.."
"With.."
"You."

He closed his eyes. This was everything he had ever wanted. Just to hear his sweetheart say that they loved him for the first time. And now... you're here.
And, with the right moves,

you would never leave.

word count: roughly 1005