✩ 18. The New Normal ꘩

sfw

༺♡༻

After the room was moved around and there was a generous mix of both me and Bubba's styles scattered around, we both decided to go out in the living room to see what was on the agenda for today. We were greeted by the twins rolling around on the ground wrestling, followed by Mama scolding them and warning them about breaking something.
Drayton was reading the paper he had got from the gas station a little while ago. He looked up and when his eyes landed on me he darted his gaze down again. I sighed and just ignored his behavior, instead sitting in Bubba's lap when he called me over on a nearby chair. He did the cutest little grabby hands, how could I say no to that?
He hummed and began to play with my now-smooth hair (thanks to him) while I listened to Mama lay out the ground rules for me, due to everyone being gathered in the room.

Rule One: Never leave without given permission.
Rule Two: The saw is family. You must learn to accept it.
Rule Three: Do your part for this family. This means luring in the food, finishing the job, working at the gas station, or simply helping out around the house.
Rule Four: Care for the family. Treat everyone with respect. (She then glared at Drayton)
Rule Five: Never leave this family. This is our home.
Rule Six: Always listen to Mama.
Rule Seven: Only Mama can change the rules, though you may add suggestions for change.
Rule Eight: If a new family member is requested, all approval comes from Mama.
Rule Nine: Following Rule Three, each family member must do at least two things for the family.
Rule Ten: If we were born here, we will die here.

When Mama was finished, all eyes fell on me. "It's time to decide what you're gonna do for this family. Remember, ya gotta choose at least two, sugar. So..what's it gonna be?" Mama asked. I thought for a moment before looking at each of the family members as I answered, "Well..I can always help with housework, and outside the house too. I can probably lure in tourists, as well. Plus, if I work at the gas station, I can lure them in there! Ooh, and if Bubba needs help when he's choppin' em up, I'll be there."
The family looked very pleased at my offers, and I felt Bubba bounce me on his lap and hug my waist tight at that last part. "Alright then, it's settled! Welcome to the family, sugar!!" Mama announced, smiling wide. The family cheered and Bubba squealed. He lifted me off his lap, spinning me around in the air and jumping.
I laughed loudly and cheered as well. This was my new family now. That's when the realization hit me and I blurted out, "Oh shit, my old family!! I wasn't even thinking about what I'd say to THEM! How the hell am I supposed to explain that I've found my forever home with my sweetheart and I'd never see them again??"
Tears filled my eyes. I couldn't just..never see them again! Bubba whimpered and hugged me tightly, petting my head. The family frowned and looked at each other, then at Mama, who furrowed her brow and placed her fingers on her chin, seemingly calculating something in her mind.
"Well we can't just have ya leave outta the blue, now can we? Hmm..ya got a phone with ya, sweet pea? Ya can call 'em 'an explain everthin'." Mama suggested, her features looking hopeful as she tried to calm me down.
I nodded and told her that I did have one, and that I could make the call to the-
The phone rang.
"Speak of the devil," Mama and I chuckled as I dashed to grab it from me and Bubba's room. He scuttled after me, whining for me to slow down. I snatched the giant brick-looking phone off the nightstand and extended the antenna, pressing the button to answer it. "Hello?" I panted, a bit out of breath from the sudden dash down the hall.
"Y/N? Is that you? It's mom, you sound out of breath! Is everything ok? You make it up to the panhandle safe? How is it up there?" My mom asked, her familiar barrage of questions making me smile. Bubba held my hand, hearing my mother's voice for the first time making him squirm with worry and letting out a whine.
"What was that? Is there a dog at your cabin or something?" Mom chuckled quizzically. My smile faded as I answered anxiously, "Um, no! There's no dogs here, mom..that was actually my uh.."
It took a long time to explain the situation to her. Of course, I left out the part of them being serial killer cannibals. She congratulated me on finding someone and being welcomed into the family. Then she asked the question I was dreading.

"So, when can I meet them all?"

word count: roughly 845, short chapter ik! ๑•́ㅿ•̀๑) ᔆᵒʳʳᵞ