✩ 15. Part of the Family; Friendly Competition ꘩

sfw

༺♡༻

I looked down at the plate of scrambled eggs, human sausage, and buttered toast before me. I took a few small bites of my food. It was good, great even, but my mind just didn't let me focus on the taste of the food. Bubba must've noticed my slumped figure prodding at the food, for I had felt his large, warm hand rub my back. "W's wrong, sweetheart? Ya dn't like 't?" He questioned, frowning at my strange behavior.
"Oh no it's not that, Bubs. The food tastes wonderful, don't worry." I assured him, placing my hand on top of his that had suddenly appeared on top of my right thigh, closest to him. He sighed gratefully, but then his face contorted into worry again.
"Th'n wuss wrong, bunny?" He asked, tilting his head to one side in genuine worry and curiosity of what was bothering me. He hated to see me upset, and I knew that. I assured him that I was alright, and I was just really nervous of what I was planning on telling the family in just a second.
We both looked up to see the family in various conversations, voices either raised with annoyance or lowered when talking with some other person. They weren't paying attention to our conversation, which was good.
We looked back at each other and Bubba gave me a look that said 'just take the plunge and get it over with, everything will be alright'. He then added a tilt of his head towards the family and a pat on my back for further effect.
I took a deep breath and stood up from my seat, facing the whole family in front of me, minus Bubba, who looked up at me with an encouraging grin and two thumbs up. Mama was the first to spot me, shushing the boys and directing their attention towards the small, pathetic figure about to ask to join their family.
Once everyone was quieted down and all eyes were on me, I took another deep breath, gathered my courage, and spoke.
"Erm.. as most if not all of you know, I may be pregnant. Emphasis on the may be, because I won't know for sure until I either start showing symptoms of pregnancy, or I test positive on a pregnancy test. If I am, then I just want you all to know that it will be, in fact, Bubba's child. I couldn't bear to leave today pregnant and having to raise the baby on my own, or staying until it's born and leaving. Even if I left today and I wasn't pregnant, I couldn't bear leaving this family. I truly and sincerely love you all, and I can envision myself living happily here with you all. That being said.."
I took a deep breath.
"I'd like to ask for the family's permission to stay here. Permanently. I promise to contribute and carry my load, making sure each family member is happy, healthy, and well-fed. Even if I have to go out and round up tourists or even help kill them, I'm up for any task you'd give me. It's the least I could do, if granted to stay. And if you'd deny me of that, then I'd completely understand and-"
"Good God kid, you really don't stop yappin, do ya? If we letcha stay will you quit that talkin'? I'm tryna eat here, good lawrd.." Drayton guffawed, promptly shutting me up. He then went back to eating, as if nothing had even happened.
My eyes widened and I felt my jaw drop. "And for corn's sake, pick yer damn jaw off tha floor!" Drayton laughed, stabbing at his sausage.
I snapped it shut and plopped down onto my chair, not saying another word. I looked around the table, scanning the family's facial expressions.
Mama looked as if her heart would explode at any second, gushing about what a wonderful addition to the family I was. The twins were jumping in their seats, clearly excited that I was staying. Drayton wore a smile as he continued to chomp on his food, assumingely happy that I'd finally shut my trap. Grandpa just kind of sat there lifeless, as always, but I'm sure he didn't mind that I was staying.
Finally, I turned to Bubba, who's eyes were as wide as mine were. He shut his eyes and let out a loud squeal, jumping up from his chair. He jumped around and picked me up, spinning me in the air and gripping me tight, my toes not being able to reach the floor below.
Drayton snapped at him to 'put that poor girl down and sit in that damn chair', and Bubba giggled and complied. He sat me in the chair and sat himself down beside me, scooting his chair closer to mine, hugging my waist from the side with one arm while he quickly shoveled food into his mouth with the other.
He had the biggest, goofiest smile permanently plastered on his face, and his whole being just radiated happiness. I intwined my fingers with his on my waist while I challenged him as to who could finish their food the fastest. He nodded and huffed in the playful competition. I looked up at the twins and grinned while I instructed "Hey guys, give us a countdown!"
They swiveled to turn our direction in clear interest and excitedly spoke in unison, "okokok oneeee twoooo threeee GO!!"
The war was ON. Bubba threw his fork down and grabbed two large handfuls of his food, stuffing them in his mouth. Food flung everywhere. "Oh that is SO not fair!! Choppp!!" I wailed turning to Chop, who was the self-proclaimed referee of the competition. He just shrugged and screeched, "Anything goes!! Now hurry up girlie, Bubba's halfway through!!"
My eyes widened as I copied Bubba's actions- tossing my fork behind my shoulder and shoveling the food in my mouth with my two hands. Nubbins took several pictures during our competition, laughing maniacally with his twin brother. Mama and Drayton also shared a laugh, while I swore I saw Grandpa chuckle.
After a few minutes, Bubba slammed his messy hands on the table, raising from his chair and yelling with a filled mouth, "DOME" "You are NOT done, you still gotta chew up that food an' swallow it to win!!" Chop corrected, then pointed to me. "Y/N's already chewin' up her last mouthful!"
I chewed faster than I ever have before, determined to be crowned the winner. Bubba's eyes widened and he chewed his food up quickly, balling up his fists and bouncing on his toes, as if that would somehow help him win.
I gasped when my mouth was empty and copied his action of triumph, yelling "DONE" as he did, this time without a full mouth. He had finished just then, squealing and whining in protest with my victory. The family cheered and hailed me as a winner, Nubbins scrambling to another room to get something.
I heard some scrambling and he came back a short time later carrying a crown made of assorted bones, teeth, and a small animal's skull at the very front. "A crown for lil' miss winner!!" He hollered, walking over to me and carefully placing it on my head.
I giggled, waving like the queen of England (future note: 💀 the king now-) with grace, ignoring the food all over my face and clothes. Everyone laughed as Chop took a picture of me with Nubbins, both of us posing with splendor.
Mama shooed both of us off towards the bathroom between laughs, instructing both of us to 'clean ourselves up and get dressed, cuz Drayton's gonna take Y/N to the gas station to get her stuff an' come back here with it'. We both nodded and joined grubby hands together, walking to the bathroom.

word count: roughly 1310