✩ 12. The Ugly Truth ꘩

sfw (mentions of gore towards the end, and of course cannibalism)
(also pov the reader stays when they find out abt the food 😼💀)
༺♡༻

I was awakened by the sound of a chainsaw engine revving up, and muffled raised voices of the family.
'Are they really chopping a tree down or something at this hour..? What time even is it..' I thought to myself, looking around the room for a clock of some kind.
That's when I noticed Bubba's side of the bed was empty. 'Was he the one chopping down that tree or whatever it was..? He must be, gosh he's so strong *swoon*. But why couldn't he just wait till the morning..? Is it even morning yet? It still looks pretty dark to me..' I thought to myself again.
I found a bell alarm clock next to the bed, on a little nightstand decorated with various animal skulls and bones, along with various trinkets Bubba collected, I assumed.
It was all kinds of random stuff, like what a crow picks up and brings back to its nest. Mostly shiny things too, which only proved my point further, hee hee. Bells, assorted jewelry, a Walkman and some tapes that all looked a bit banged up as if he had dropped them a few times, and a decorated compact mirror. Cute.
My attention turned toward the time. 2:07 am. awesome. I groaned and got out of bed, my legs wobbled and I fell to the ground. I was right about not being able to walk the next day, goddamn.
I guess I made a loud thump as I fell, because I heard two sets of hurried footsteps coming towards Bubba's room. There were two similar voices, and I immediately recognized them as the twins. They scrambled into the room, looking for the source of the sound from the open door. "I-I'm down here, guys" I chuckled weakly, still a bit tired from both just waking up and last nights' activities.
"Jeez Y/N, what're ya doin down there on tha floor??" Nubbins asked, making his way over to me with Chop Top. "Oh she's just tired from her little play session with Bubba, you dumbass" Chop spat, hitting Nubbins in the back of the head with his hand, giving me a sly smile. I blushed as I remembered the details of said activities.
They both helped me up from the floor and sat me on the edge of Bubba's bed. "W-what's with the chainsaw..? You guys didn't seriously make Bubba Chop a tree down or something at THIS hour, didja?" I questioned, rubbing one of my eyes. Their crooked smiles fell and they nervously looked at each other. "What, is it some kinda secret, now? Where's my big boy at" I chuckled, putting my hands on my hips playfully.
Chop Top hesitated, then he said "Ehh I dunno if he wants us ta tell ya.. maybe he wants to be the one to break tha news..?" He spoke more to Nubbins then to me. "Yeah, plus Mama or Cook might get mad at us, too.." Nubbins said, more to Chop Top then to me. They then began to mumble to each other, seemingly unsure of what to do or to tell me.
"Oh come on you guys, I'm sure it's not THAT bad, just take me to 'im!" I assured them, dismissing their worries with a wave of my hand, feeling s bit like Mama. I shakily rose from the bed and took them by either arm, instructing them again. "Well cmon! It's rude ta keep a lady waiting, yknow" I teased.
They looked at eachother worriedly, then both shrugging simultaneously. They carefully led me out of the bedroom into the living room, setting me into the couch. "Soooo.. where's he at?" I questioned, noticing a worried Mama and Drayton enter the room. (Well, Mama was worried, Drayton looked more tired and annoyed more than anything.)
"Well hunny, we'll all see him when he comes back in, an' don't you worry at the looks of 'im an the food now, ya hear?" She threatened, shaking her finger at me. "O-oh, so he's just.. sawing up a deer or something..? Right?" I asked, feeling myself tense up at their strange behavior.
"Oh gawdammit woman we're cannibals for corn's sake! We eat PEOPLE the food is people!!" Drayton snapped, annoyed as hell. My eyes widened as I darted them to either family member.
Chop and Nubs looked at each other then to the floor, Nubs playing with his fingers and Chop scratching his head plate. Mama looked at me with a sad look then at Drayton, yelling at him for 'scarin the poor girl, makin' her wanna leave us'. Drayton just rolled his eyes and stomped into the kitchen with Mama close behind, still yapping at him.
"So.. that meat last night was..?" I choked, my voice threatening to fail me. "Some tourist at the gas station.. yeah" Chop answered, still looking worried. "B-butcha liked it real good, didn'tcha? Ya gobbled it right up, y-yeah?" Nubbins scrambled, looking up at me with a look that said 'please don't leave us'.
"Well that's true...dude tasted unlike anything I've ever tasted.. pretty good if I'm honest.." I tapped my chin in thought. "Well if you guys are cookin shit like that up every day, sign me the hell up!" I rose from the couch triumphantly, wobbling, then falling again. I chuckled awkwardly as I saw the twins looking shocked, Mama and Drayton poking their heads out at me with the same expression.
"Aw hell yeah!! We got us another fam'ly member, WEEEHOO" the twins screeched, giving each other a high five and bouncing up and down. Mama sighed in relief, clutching her heart. Drayton sighed in relief then turned and sarcastically said "Well shit, there's one more mouth ta feed. Better get the big pot fer this one. How'dya like chili, girl?" He turned to me again, pointing a spoon in my direction.
Another high five from the twins, and an "Awww yiss!". I nodded at him and smiled. "Love chili! Long as it's not too spicy, alright?" I looked at him sideways, putting a hand to my hip and shaking a finger at him like Mama with the other.
"Alright fine, ya coward" He chuckled, going back into the kitchen. I happily chatted with the twins and Mama for a bit, all four of us being interrupted by a gasp and a grunt at the door.
I turned to see a bloody Bubba, holding an even bloodier chainsaw in his right hand and the corpse of a guy close to my age slumped over his shoulder. He had a large hole in his chest, and he wasn't waking up anytime soon.
He looked around at the family frantically, whimpering and mumbling quickly. "Don't worry yerself none, Bubba. We explained it allll to 'er, an she's not leavin anytime soon." Mama coaxed, putting a hand on my shoulder.
"That's right, Bubs! I'd never leave ya, you silly boy! After all, how're we supposed to raise this baby together if I...oops.." I trailed off, looking at the twins with an awkward grin.
"Yer pregnant allREADY?? Good lord Bubba ya sure knocked her up good didn'tcha?" Chop raised from the couch, patting Bubba's shoulder fast and hard, laughing heartily with the rest of the family.
Bubba sighed hard in relief, looking at me with adoration. "BUBBA GIT THAT BOY IN HERE SO I CAN COOK 'IM!!" Drayton yelled, cutting short the sweet moment. Bubba groaned and mumbled "Be back s'n" before carrying the guy into the kitchen.
"Wow he sure talks a lot when he's aroundja, doesn't he?" Nubbins smiled, sitting back on the floor where he was a few minutes before.

"Oh you have NO idea..!" I returned, remembering just a few hours ago.

word count: roughly 1320 💖